• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old ELC house A-2 jacket

shiloh

Hello,

Again some questions about an old ELC jacket I own. It's an old ELC house A-2, Russet, pre analine finish. It's a size 40R. Looks just like a Sefton A-2 I used to own. My question is: Can anybody tell me how old this jacket is. What sort of leather is this jacket made of. It's very thick and grainy and I am sure it's not goat. So it must be either horse- or steerhide.

When I bought this one last year it was unworn but the cuffs and waisband were eaten by the moth. Replacement of the cuffs and waistband was done by AeroLeather and they also rezipped the jacket with a nickel repro talon zipper. Not as good as the ELC ones, but the total replacement including postage was just 103,- GBP. (ELC asked 135,- GBP but for allday wear I like the cuffs of Aero more)

Hope to get me some answers from the experts.

tommorow I'll post some pics of another older ELC House, I bought last year, again with some questions

regards,

shiloh

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

Persimmon

Just bought a second hand 38 regular with the same label this week so await any info with interest.
Forgive the ignorance but what is a Sefton A2.
Is that good or bad for the Eastman to look that way ?
Alan

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Persimmon said:
... what is a Sefton A2. Is that good or bad for the Eastman to look that way ?

An A-2 made by Steve Silburn of Sefton Clothing. Although no longer made, they were a good house pattern A-2, usually in steerhide, occasionally in HH.

It's certainly not bad for an Eastman to look that way.

HHjackets

from the label it looks like it could be from the 90s if not earlier, (one i had with the same label was from the early 90s), i bet it also had a brass talon zipper.
i'd say it's (thick) steerhide.

Persimmon

Got an email from Gary at Eastman as I sent pictures of my jacket to him.
He states it is between 15 - 25 years and steerhide
And yes a brass Talon zipper
Alan

Hamsterbear

These Eastman house jackets are 1985 to early 1990's vintage, and are steerhide. These are very nice jackets, I have two of them, both 42 reg although one is a bit tighter than the other. Being this old, sone of the stitching, especially around the pockets, has broken/failed due to age/rot. Still, they are very solid jackets after minor repairs, and have another decade or two of wear left in them. They have achieved a lot of grain, and have a WWII look. People ask if they are real WWII jackets.
-Brian
Eastman1980s.jpg

shiloh

HHjackets said:
from the label it looks like it could be from the 90s if not earlier, (one i had with the same label was from the early 90s), i bet it also had a brass talon zipper.
i'd say it's (thick) steerhide.

Thank you all for your comments. I know now that I am a proud owner of an (at least) 20 year old ELC jacket.

Yes, mine was fitted with a brass repro Talon zipper (the same as the Seftons have), but IMO the zipper was very poor quality and I had it replaced by a nickel repro Talon.

regards,

shiloh