• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh, Lord, what to do? Steve W.

zinjar

First, let me say hello. Proud to be a part of this group. Now, fellows, HELP! I have a 25 year old Avirex horsehide size 48 A-2 which is a little snug, and I've been doing research recently in purchasing a G-1. As usual, I started out modestly enough, then wound up with Eastman and Lost Worlds. Because of my body shape, Lost Worlds doesn't even want to make a jacket for me! Then, after further research, I discovered the M422A and decided to try and get that, since it was the forerunner of the G-1 and I read the AVG had mostly M422A's shipped to them. Also, I like the styling of the M422A.

Please give me your opinions on the best shop to order the best-made, most authentic M422A. Or do you think I should stick with the G-1. I know Lost Worlds just considers them names for the same thing. They have a G-1. I would actually consider it if I convince them to make me one.

I am 66" tall, 46" around the chest. 225 pounds, and a little chunky because I take medicine for a kidney transplant that swells me somewhat. I know all the most authentic are snug, and I am willing to live with this, but I also see some companies have size 50 and over. I don't think I'm that unusual.

I really like Lost Worlds, but we've been going back and forth. I haven't contacted Eastman yet. I understand it is better to order overseas from them because it is cheaper.

Well, I've really gone on, but I'm new and I'd like to get the best. Please help.

Steve W.

Tim P

Lost worlds are iron hard tough jackets but if he wont compromise on a custom sizing, dont give him your business. maybe a gibson and barnes would be good, budget friendly and accomodating for a higher range of size requirements.

Hawkeye

If all else fails and no one will make one for you, give US Authentic a try. They may not have the most accurate product but they have a good rep for doing custom work.

Tim P

AHHHHH, :) is that not the trading name for the gibson and barnes brand? I had overlooked that.

fishmeok

G&B make great M-422A's and they tend to run big in the sizing- I'd give them a try, customer service has always been excellent in my experience.
Cheers
Mark

zinjar

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know why Lost Worlds is giving me such a hard time. I have a Gibson and Barnes catalogue here and they do have a nice M422A.

Also, I think flightjackets.com is or sells US Authentic. They have a nice Flying Tigers G-1, and I believe you can get it in horsehide.

Any feedback on Eastman? Then there is The Real McCoy and Aero leather also. I liked Aero's look. I'm not sure about sizing.

Steve W.

airfrogusmc

zinjar said:
First, let me say hello. Proud to be a part of this group. Now, fellows, HELP! I have a 25 year old Avirex horsehide size 48 A-2 which is a little snug, and I've been doing research recently in purchasing a G-1. As usual, I started out modestly enough, then wound up with Eastman and Lost Worlds. Because of my body shape, Lost Worlds doesn't even want to make a jacket for me! Then, after further research, I discovered the M422A and decided to try and get that, since it was the forerunner of the G-1 and I read the AVG had mostly M422A's shipped to them. Also, I like the styling of the M422A.

Please give me your opinions on the best shop to order the best-made, most authentic M422A. Or do you think I should stick with the G-1. I know Lost Worlds just considers them names for the same thing. They have a G-1. I would actually consider it if I convince them to make me one.

I am 66" tall, 46" around the chest. 225 pounds, and a little chunky because I take medicine for a kidney transplant that swells me somewhat. I know all the most authentic are snug, and I am willing to live with this, but I also see some companies have size 50 and over. I don't think I'm that unusual.

I really like Lost Worlds, but we've been going back and forth. I haven't contacted Eastman yet. I understand it is better to order overseas from them because it is cheaper.

Well, I've really gone on, but I'm new and I'd like to get the best. Please help.

Steve W.

Give our own John Chapman a try...

airfrogusmc

tcwu said:
I like my Eastman M422a.
Special now the Pound is weak you get a very good deal buying Eastman!
You also can check with Real McCoy's New Zealand.
I have both jackets but I like ELC better.

Eastman gets the back wrong on their 422a's. They cut them like modern G-1s and theres a fairly large gap at the top at the shoulder and bi swing thats not seen on most originals.

zinjar

TCWU: Since Eastman seems to make a fine product, should this irregularity eliminate them? I also note you said MOST originals. Thanks, Steve W.

adfrost

I've got a fantastic Aero M422-A, size 48. Unfortuntely, it does not fit (got it on eBay...though/hoped it would it...it didn't.) Everything about the jacket is incredible. If were a smaller guy, I don't know how you could do better than the Aero.

m422a-front-zipped.jpg

m422a-back-zipped.jpg

After owning this jacket, it would be tough to get a G&B, though that's more in line with what I'd pay for at the moment. The character of the die and leather on this would make the G&B leather seem like vinyl.

More closeups here, if you want to get a good look at the quality of the Aero.

Robman

For what it's worth, the M422A from Gibson & Barnes is an outstanding jacket. I have a 44 which measures out almost identically to my 48 Gordon & Ferguson original. Mine was made with my "special request" mismatched and grainy hide.

When worn it more closely resembles my original than both the RMNZ and ELC 422As I had.....I am not ripping on the other manufacturers just sharing my personal experience.

Don't discount Gibson & Barnes at all. They make an excellent product. As to A2s they also make a good one. I have grown quite fond of their russet horsehide which initially I thought was not the right color until I started looking at color period photos showing a dull mid brown with much less red like many of the manufacturers of today use.

You would probably be happy with their products.

adfrost

Robman said:
For what it's worth, the M422A from Gibson & Barnes is an outstanding jacket. I have a 44 which measures out almost identically to my 48 Gordon & Ferguson original. Mine was made with my "special request" mismatched and grainy hide.

Do you happen to have any photos of the jacket? I'd be curious to see the leather they got for you. I'm assuming the standard goatskin? I got some samples from them and it was too uniform for my tastes. I'm thinking that the G&B pattern would be much more forgiving on my frame.