• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Officers Service Coat

bombs away

Hello,

Why buying a repro much more than an original. :?:

These jackets are quite easy to find, even in size 42.
Just my 2 cents... ;)

Tim.

watchmanjimg

I'm not sure I would agree that these are easy to find in size 42, but in general they're not rare. I would try to find a good original before paying too much for a repro, unless you plan to subject the coat to heavy use.

grommet

I'd say the same thing about an Ike. I would definately ask for measurements for either of these jackets. I bought an original officer's Ike which, while labeled my size (and not short), nearly comes up to my navel. Even with officer's pinks trousers, this is a bit skimpy.

stanier

Thanks for the replies folks.

I'd love an original, but I don't seem to find one to easily in a 42, and when I do the actual measurements suggest it won't fit me.

On the other hand, I don't really want a poly/wool blend (as per the one on ebay), but 100% wool!

I wonder if I could source some cloth and a pattern and then get a tailor to make me one; anyone know how practical that would be?

Of course if someone has a minty "real" 42 (ike or service coat) they'd like to sell, please get in touch!

Cheers

stanier

Thinking about it a bit more, I'd also need the braid for the cuffs, buttons, and is there anything special about the lining I'd need to watch for?

Whatever I do about the jacket I plan on reproducing a jacket of the 4th Fighter Group and am also trying to source some half size, kings crown RAF wings. I've found some repro, but they don't have the red infill on the crown. If by any chance someone knows a source of those, I'd appreciate that too!

Cheers again

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
stanier said:
I've found some repro, but they don't have the red infill on the crown. If by any chance someone knows a source of those, I'd appreciate that too!

I have a series of the wings from the same RNZAF officer. I haven't Googled it, but I assume the red infill increases as the rank progresses. Anyone could hand stitch that in for you.

unclegrumpy

Why don't you post your measurements?

Like flight jackets, the actual versus marked size on these coats can vary...sometimes a lot. You also have long and short sizes, and more importantly, most were tailored to fit. A good measurement around the gut where the belt goes is very important if you no longer have the same chest size to waist size ratio as a fit 23 year old would have.

You also might want to let us know what shoulder patches you are intending to put on, as these coats can fade, and it can be difficult to get a patch of a different shape to match up.

Also, it should be much easier to find an Ike jacket in your size, especially if a 1946 pattern will work for you. They are pretty much the same, but easier to find in the bigger sizes.

Good luck!

unclegrumpy

deeb7 said:
I have a series of the wings from the same RNZAF officer. I haven't Googled it, but I assume the red infill increases as the rank progresses. Anyone could hand stitch that in for you.

I am not an expert in these wings, but I am sure the red infill has nothing to do with rank. It is a manufacture's variation that seems to vary across time periods, vary by where they were made, and by who made them.

Meaning you can encounter RFC wings both ways, but considerably more often without the red behind the crown. RAF wings both ways, but with less red right around WW I, but more red in the interwar to early second world war years, and no red maybe a bit more often in the later war years. I suspect pilots could buy them both ways, so possibly cost comes into play, with the red infill wings maybe being slightly more expensive.

Canadian made RAF and RCAF wings seem to more often than not have the red infill. I don't know about the other Commonwealth Nations, but I would bet they tended to have whatever their Countries wing typically had behind it's crown.

stanier

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the responses.

On the mini wings front I had a stroke of luck with ebay this week. I found a some repro RCAF mini wings, complete with red infill on the crown and they arrived yesterday, and are very nice. Cost me £5 including postage and very happy I am too!

With regards to the jacket I found that What Price Glory have 100% wool service coats in stock that arrive with unfinished sleeves (so I can get the length I want) and the jacket include the office braid seperately so that can be affixed in the right place. The jackets look good on the website so hopefully I've made the right choice. I really want the jacket for a '40's dance at the end of Feb so I needed to do something quickly.

Other insignia will be a bullion 8th airforce shoulder patch and silver USAAF pilots wings. I might put some officer insignia on the epualets. Definatley no medal ribbons or anything like that though. Hoping to get the patches at the Stoneleigh show tomorrow which I'd forgotten about when I ordered the jackt!

And UncleGrumpy, you're right I definatley don't have the same waist to chest ratio as a 23 year old. My Chest is nearer 40 than 42, but my mmmm, my belly is nearer 42! Trying to diet though! To think I had a 30inch waist and 38inch chest when I was 23, doh!

Cheers all

unclegrumpy

Sounds like you made a good choice!

I think you should add some ribbons though....otherwise it is going to look naked under your pilot wing. If your rank is Captain or below, adding Air Medal, ETO, and American Theatre ribbons would be about right for an average officer with some combat flying time under his belt in 1944. You will also need winged prop and US insignia for the collars.

Let us know how your hunting goes this weekend.

stanier

My What price Glory Service Coat arrived and what a nice item it is.

However, the downside is I purchased a 42R and it drowns me! I'd say it's more like a 44L! Probably not quite that but way to big for me, even around the, hmm, beer belly. More like a great coat!

I'm going to see if I can change it, but not sure whether to go for 40 or even a 38, and I'd like at least 2 inches off the body length. Oddly, where the sleeves are tack stitched they're not too far off about the right length.

If I can't change it, it'll be going in the Buy / Sell section with a pic at the weekend.

Upside is I've found all the patches I want, just no jacket now! Looks like it'll be my trusty B-10 with the officer pinks at the 40's dance I'm going to later in Feb.

Cheers all

unclegrumpy

I think you should still try posting some measurements taken from a modern suit jacket that fits you. Give us your height as well. Subtracting off the WPG measurements would be a way to go as well.

If you are more in the size 40 range, I think there may be some hope for you as far as turning up an original. I have a few, but there is really no point in looking at them unless I have something to go on.