• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

nylon versus sheepskin/leather

xt40

maybe somebody could answer this.
the early (pre-nomex) nylon jackets are very stylish and practical for everyday wear but from a safety perspective are they not completely unsuitable for their stated purpose i.e. flying. Nylon is basically plastic and i would think the last type of thing you would want to be wearing in an aircraft. i would think that sheepskin or leather would be a million times safer. ?

Atticus

xt40 said:
maybe somebody could answer this.
the early (pre-nomex) nylon jackets are very stylish and practical for everyday wear but from a safety perspective are they not completely unsuitable for their stated purpose i.e. flying. Nylon is basically plastic and i would think the last type of thing you would want to be wearing in an aircraft. i would think that sheepskin or leather would be a million times safer. ?
Goat, horse and sheepskin jackets probably are much safer in cockpit fires. But if you're in a jet flying above Korea...at 45,000 feet...in January...they're not worth a damn the other 99.99% of the time.

AF

Monsoon

I had read they replaced the fur collars because helmets wouldn't sit right, and because of the fire hazard.

Yep, nylon sucks in an aircraft fire. That's why we all were nomex and my under-roos are all cotton, all the time.

But, then again, you have to take all this safety stuff with a grain of salt. If my aircraft caught fire on the ramp, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to un-ass it without being that burned. The hazards are inhaling smoke/fumes or a fire so bad that it doesn't matter what I'm wearing.

I remember when I had my first helmet fitted they said the chin strap is rated to up to 3000 pounds of force before it breaks. Then the Life Support dude reminded me my neck ain't. :D

Phantomfixer

Monsoon,
I think I asked this before, you are in the 193rd? Still flying C-130s/ I keep thinking of coming out of retirement and joining the DE ANG just to fly as FE on those things. Love em. You must love your job...

As far as the thread nylon vs leather? The nylon is much warmer andd mor comfortable in a cockpit. When I flew as a PP, I never wore a HH jacket, it was always goat or nylon... HH is way too stiff in the a small plane..just sayin
John

Willy McCoy

The first point you make is "they are stylish". By moderne standards they are quite short. This feature makes movement a snap and great for driving small cars, but will most likely not return into fashion.
Nylon is a no no for U.S. Military pilots and aircrew so you have no danger of it catching fire. For civilian use I couldn't think of a better jacket except the first series of CWU jackets.

Monsoon

jzist said:
Monsoon,
I think I asked this before, you are in the 193rd? Still flying C-130s/ I keep thinking of coming out of retirement and joining the DE ANG just to fly as FE on those things. Love em. You must love your job...

Yep, still flying, at least until July 2012, when I pull the handles and retire after 30 years. Does the DE Guard still have FEs? We lost ours when we traded our E models for J's.

Phantomfixer

30 years WTG. I just received word that the chow hall at DAFB is open to retirees all year long now...if you ever happen this way..my treat ;)
As far as DEANG still having FEs, I really do not know. I grew up watching three ship formations fly over the farm heading out in the morning from ILG and heading back in later. there was the solo bird too. I loved hearing the roar of the engines. ILG was only a few miles away....awesome....sometimes they would come in a little lower than usual over the farm. This was back in the early 70s when I started noticing them. I still watch em as they fly from ILG, and I live west of KDOV!!!
anyway thanks for your service and enjoy retirement
John