• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nylon from Life

oose

Hi all,

Few pics from Life for the Nylon lovers...
c7.jpg

c5.jpg

c4-1.jpg

c3-1.jpg

c6.jpg

yours stu

Weasel_Loader

Love the photos. The photo with the officer in a Lion MA-1 standing in front of the B-52G has an interesting name tape. Never seen them that large. The first photo is actually pretty neat with the huge fur hoods. Thanks for posting. ;)

watchmanjimg

Danny, what do you think about the 42nd BW captain? I notice he appears to have a different patch on his flight suit underneath, which is interesting because I have a K-2B with 69th BS patch from a vet whose MA-1 bore the 42nd Bomb Wing patch. I believe the 69th was part of the 42nd at Loring and he may have worn these garments concurrently. Have you ever seen this before?

Weasel_Loader

watchmanjimg said:
Danny, what do you think about the 42nd BW captain? I notice he appears to have a different patch on his flight suit underneath, which is interesting because I have a K-2B with 69th BS patch from a vet whose MA-1 bore the 42nd Bomb Wing patch. I believe the 69th was part of the 42nd at Loring and he may have worn these garments concurrently. Have you ever seen this before?

Jim, the patch on his K-2B is from the 70th Bomb Squadron. Until the late 60s, it was more usual to find aircrew wearing the squadron patch on the chest and wing on the shoulder. If they wore the wing patch on the chest, that usually meant they were assigned to a staff position at the wing level and not to a squadron. In this case, it might just be that the pilots in this squadron wore wing patches on jackets? Not sure really, but just a guess. ;)

SpeednAngels

Weasel_Loader said:
watchmanjimg said:

Jim, the patch on his K-2B is from the 70th Bomb Squadron. Until the late 60s, it was more usual to find aircrew wearing the squadron patch on the chest and wing on the shoulder. If they wore the wing patch on the chest, that usually meant they were assigned to a staff position at the wing level and not to a squadron. In this case, it might just be that the pilots in this squadron wore wing patches on jackets? Not sure really, but just a guess. ;)

Wing always supersedes squadron so more than often than not wing patches
on outermost garment and lesser on flight suit. anyways thats the way it was
done in the seventies..it was against rags to advert your squadron nowadays
everybody knows whats going on cause Johnny is on the cellphone saying so..LOL

Weasel_Loader

Until the 1970s when patch placement became more standardized, most aircrew wore the squadron patch on the chest even with flight jackets. Some units had squadron patches on right chest, while others would wear squadron on right chest. Units that wore a squadron on the right would sometimes wear the wing patch above their name tape. The one thing that usually was standardized was the fact that everyone within the squadron stuck to the same method.

Squadron on right chest.

7thTFS.jpg

Squadron on right chest and wing on left above name tape.

Germany_Bball.gif

Squadron on right chest and wing on right shoulder.

B58Crew.jpg

Wing on right chest.

b58people40.jpg

Wing on right chest and squadron on left chest.

Bitburg105Change.jpg

SpeednAngels

All good stuff Weasel.. After Vietnam all that went to hell!! LOL
very boring.. left chest better just have your name tape and wing right chest better
just have your command.. TAC SAC ATC etc. shoulders . well it just depended how
many Hanoi missions the old man flew.. or ur ass wud be 35-10 upside down.. Good pics
did u still have colors when you got out
or was it all fade to black!! Thanks