• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

noob enquiry about fit

snowlion

im wondering about the best way of ensuring a good fitting jacket when distance buying? im sure this will have been covered before on the forum but i didnt find anything yet. has anyone got any good tips, or links to relevant threads? thanks in advance. dave

Jaguar46

This is a good reference.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Tuto ... rement.htm

Since I have recently started buying A2s and measured my new jackets, and compared them to how they fit me, I can give some advice. The first place to start would be a jacket that fits well. And measure it. YOu can then begin to compare the measurements to a jacket you want. I have found that 5 measurements are key. The first and most important is the pit to pit measurement. You will need a jacket that is roughly 5-6 inches greater than your chest size. 4 inches is too small, and 8 inches it too much, at least for me it is. For example if your chest is 42", you will need a jacket with a pit to pit measurement of 23 1/2" or 24". Ordering a set size from a particular manufacturer is a bit risky without the appropriate measurements to go by. Many makers typically add 4 inches to the tag size, e.g., an average 42 will have a chest of 46 (or an outside pit to pit of 23").

I will give you my measurements, and also the measurements of a jacket that fits me the best and perhaps you can guage an appropriate size for yourself.

I am 5"8", Wt 165, Chest 42 (with a t-shirt and shirt on), shirt size 15 1/2-32, waist size 36 at naval, but I can wear a 34 Levis 501.

The jacket I have recently purchased that fits the best is a Gibson-Barns Civilian A2 I bought off E-Bay. The jacket is tagged with a 40R tag, but has a larger chest than every other 40R I have seen. I also have ELC/42, ELC/44, Goodwear/46 (bought 2nd hand but the measurements fit my size), and the jackets fit me, some are a bit long on me, but all fit me in the chest. A jacket that is too small in the chest, is basicly not wearable, where as sleeve lengths, and jacket length are not so critical, unless they are way off by 2 inches or more.

The 5 key measurements are:

1. Pit to pit 24" (most important measurement)
2. Shoulder to shoulder 19 1/2 (this determines how the epaulets will sit)
3. Arm length (shoulder seam to end of cuff) 26" (25" would have been better on me)(this will determine the degree of tunneling of the sleeve or "bunching" of the mid sleeve.
4. Length (Base of collar seam in back to end of knit) 25" (will determine the degree the jacket tunnels at the waist, like a sweater)
5. Front wind flap length top to bottom 22 1/4 (similar factor to #4)

These are the 5 measurements I look for or ask for, when shopping for a jacket on Ebay. Or if I requested a jacket from a vendor.

There are other factors that will make a difference as to how well the jacket will fit, such as arm hole diameter, whether the sleeve is an "inset" sleeve (inset gives more arm movement), overall sleeve diameter throught the length of the sleeve, ( a good measurement would be the diameter of the sleeve at 1/2 its length), waist size at the knit/leather seam stretched out, waist measurement of the end of the knit, and collar opening size. These measurements are hard to get from a seller, I suppose you could ask, but I usually don't.

Also you need to know the maker, Gibson-Barns are fuller cut, ELC more an average cut, and Buzz Rickson, The Few and other Japanese makers, cut slim.

Goodwear custom makes the jacket to your size. Some others will also for a fee.

snowlion

thanks jaguar that is an excellent answer and very helpful.

when it comes to talking about 'specific fit' from various makers, how does aero leathers compare? are they generally 'true to size'?

many thanks. dave

Jaguar46

snowlion said:
thanks jaguar that is an excellent answer and very helpful.

when it comes to talking about 'specific fit' from various makers, how does aero leathers compare? are they generally 'true to size'?

many thanks. dave
No first hand experience, but from reading around, probaby closer to true to size.