• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nomex thread/Zipper Seam coming loose

FtrPlt

I noticed the zipper tape is starting to part at the bottom of my CWU-45. Does anyone know a source for the correct color nomex thread for the CWU-jackets and flight suits? I bought a spool of "sage green" nomex via eBay but it's far too dark (although a great match for the VN-era 2-piece flight suit/Army flight jackets)

Any ideas?

FtrPlt

I looked. The only non-melting thread shown is the same stuff I purchased on eBay. It's for the OG-106 green army flight/CVC jackets and old 2-piece flight suits. The only other listing they had was for a regular nylon thread in sage green for use on the L-2B, N-2B, etc. It will probably do, if I can't find anything elsewhere. At $6/spool, I'm sure the postage will be more than the thread!

MikeyB-17

How big a repair is it? I managed to do a couple of minor jobs on my latest one (hole in the cuff and one on the chest) with bits of thread salvaged from the rest of the jacket, especially inside the pockets. In my experience they're not that well put together, and there are often bits of loose thread hanging about.

FtrPlt

It's small repair, for the moment. An inch or two of the lower left side of the zipper has come loose from the jacket. One of the seams on the right pocket is going to let go pretty soon. I'll probably replace the velcro for the pockets, as well.

In looking at TO 14P3-1-112, there is reference to thread MIL-T-83195 shade 1565 and an alternative cotton 3-ply thread meeting spec V-T-276. Also shade 1565.