• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice boots for sure but this can't be right !!!

Burnsie

Wow, I thought the $500 Japanese Lone Wolf boots were pricey! This has really got me thinking (Good Wear jackets started it)...HOW AUTHENTIC IS AUTHENTIC ENOUGH? Period perfect 40's clothing is great but I officially draw the line at $1300 engineer boots!

A

Anonymous

I guess there is a market for this repro high end clothing for the customer who wants the best !.I would suggest that Lost Worlds started it and other companies saw the niche and followed suit .For example LEE jeans ,Levis,Barbour,Sugar cane and on and on .Makes the AT THE FRONT boots look like a bargain at Just over a hundred Buckaroos .

All the best Jeff

Grant

If I had the jack and was a E width I'd bid on them in a heatbeat. Wesco boots rule... and they're made right here in the US. Whoever wins those boots will have a pair of thee most accurate 40's engineer boots out there. Too bad only the Japanese really appreciate quality reproduction work wear and are willing to pay for it.

zoomer

Overpay for it, even. You could have these boots built to fit you like angel slippers for $1,200 - if you could talk a custom bootmaker into working in horsehide at all. But some actually prefer the pedigree of a well respected mass-producer to the mystique of something made for themselves alone.

It all depends what tradition you come from - whether your style is an individual or social one, or like many of us, somewhere in between. The Japanese sense of style is firmly, unquestioningly social. To them the exactness of a Wesco copy, by Wesco artisans, is the whole point, and worth paying whatever is asked.

Grant

I'm not sure why, but the Japanese appreciate vintage American work wear so much more than Americans do. They respect and admire the quality and craftsmanship that went into a 30's Brown's beach cloth jacket or the denim used by Sears in the 40's for their Hercules denim jackets and overalls or the cotton duck used in 50's Carhartt jackets or the work boots made by Wesco or even J.C. Penny's. The point is they appreciate the quality and heritage more than we do and are willing to pay for it.

A

Anonymous

If I were David Beckham then sure I'd get a pair. I ain't though !! And I'd rather wait and pay for the real McCoy if I wanted authenticity. There must be pairs of originals out there for less. Well not now these have come up ! :D

Are Japanese wages that high that this is an attainable comsumable to the ordinary Japanese or are we talking the Japanese equivalent of the Becks ?

Dave :ugeek:

Burnsie

Grant said:
I'm not sure why, but the Japanese appreciate vintage American work wear so much more than Americans do.

Must be why this American has a closet and drawers full of Japanese repro clothing these days...

Willy McCoy

How much do we appreciate great workmanship? On eBay Auction Talk I posted a link for NOS 1950s PowrHouse boots in a large size. They were too small for me so I posted the link up. The bid started at $29.00. The first poster stated "They're the wrong color". Next poster stated "They're ugly". And the rest followed suite. The auction passed with no bids. How hard would it be to re-dye to the "desirable color". Not too. If those boots would have had Toys McCoy or the like label they'd a been swept up for 20X the opening bid. I really have to take the hit and admit that Stu at Lost Worlds has at least a small particle of truth to base his opinions, however harsh they may be. We are a curious lot indeed.

Grant

What size are they and what color? I might me interested. :)

I've had Japanese tourists stop me on the street and politely ask if they could buy the M-422a I was wearing or ask if the repro denim was original. NEVER would you get an American doing that ... unless it was maybe one us geeks on the forum.

zoomer

DUBOWA2 said:
I guess there is a market for this repro high end clothing for the customer who wants the best !
It can't be that simple. The customer at this $$$ level is not the one who wants the best, it's the one who's most obsessed.

Let's not forget the J-factor too. Overpaying for anything is prestigious in Japan, and actually worth bragging about.

asiamiles

Grant said:
I'm not sure why, but the Japanese appreciate vintage American work wear so much more than Americans do. They respect and admire the quality and craftsmanship that went into a 30's Brown's beach cloth jacket or the denim used by Sears in the 40's for their Hercules denim jackets and overalls or the cotton duck used in 50's Carhartt jackets or the work boots made by Wesco or even J.C. Penny's. The point is they appreciate the quality and heritage more than we do and are willing to pay for it.

There are magazines and a self-serving market telling them to do so. And I think it's a visible rather than a large percentage of people we are talking about here.

zoomer said:
Overpaying for anything is prestigious in Japan, and actually worth bragging about.

I've never heard them brag about what they've paid for anything in my visits.

All I've heard is admiration for workmanship, be it on an original item, or reprduction.

Bevan.