• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie's First "A-2" A Manky Old Goat Avirex

CoopDog

O.K., don't bash me. I am a newbie. I have never owned an A-2. And, some will say that even after buying this one, I still don't. But after returning one Crap-Bay jacket that didn't fit, I picked up this one for less than $100. It is a size 44 genuine goatskin and fits me nearly perfectly. It's old, has some fading, and some stains, but I can wear it whenever I want without worry. And, most importantly, I can measure it and use it as a reference point for ordering a quality repro. if I ever decide to spend the $$ to do so (my wife would kill me if she knew what the repros. cost, but what she doesn't know, won't hurt her - or me.) I am yearning for a Dubow seal brown from Platon. That will be next. Platon doesn't accept returns for non-fitting jackets. So, the cost of this one is well worth it to me to make sure I order the right size.

Saint-ex

I did almost same with my Fivestar.
It's a way to have reference and a jacket you are not worried to damage. And finally not so bad.

B-Man2

Don’t apologize Coop... most of us started out the same way. Several years ago when the dinosaurs walked the planet and there were no such things as Aero, Good Wear or ELC we wore Avirexs’ and loved them . That’s a nice one .!

Tom Bowers

I still love my old Avirex A-2 that I've had since high school (1986 if you must know) which makes it, and me, truly vintage

Nice jacket by the way wear it and enjoy it 99% of the population wouldn't know it from the most crazy expensive Eastman

Silver Surfer

those mid 80s avirex goaties were actually pretty nice. imo, better then the hh ones they made at the time. btw, do NOT use the size label in your avirex as benchmark for other a-2 jackets. go by the measurements for any a-2, used, new, or original that ya might consider in the future..

B-Man2

Coop
One hard fast rule . Know your measurements.
Take them occasionally especially after the holidays :rolleyes:. Once you have those down you’ll know what will fit you, so always ask for the jackets measurements and forget the size tag. You’ll save money and stress in the long run.

MikeyB-17

I have one very similar, except mine is horse. They date from when Avirex made a half reasonable attempt at an accurate reproduction, before all the ludicrous escape map linings, excessive patching and bell-tent fit. Mine, although no high end repro, has leather which, as Smithy says, is closer to an original than most repros I've seen. Some say very close to a Perry Sportswear.

Last edited:

CoopDog

I have one very similar, except mine is horse. They date from when Avirex made a half reasonable attempt at an accurate reproduction, before all the ludicrous escape map linings, excessive patching and bell-tent fit. Mine, although no high end repro, has leather which, Smithy says, is closer to an original than most repro I've seen. Some say very close to a Perry Sportswear.

The fit is trim. Shoulders not too droopy. Major flaws (and there could be others because I am no expert) are the incorrect hanger tab and the label.

seres

It seems like we all did the same thing… I still have my first A=2, an Avirex A-2 Goat bought new in ’87. And just like yours, CoopDog, it has faded and darkened. I still wear it occasionally.

Griffon_301

A word of advice for future purchases...
Get to know the measurements that fit you best and don't trust sizes if you are comparing jackets from different makers or jackets with different styles and cuts.

For example I usually wear a size 46 in jackets from ELC but I also own a B-15 in 44, a BR L-2A in 42 and a BR L-2B in L, not to speak of the deck jackets that come in a size 42 as well...

If you are unsure about a size, ask for the measurements of the jacket, if it is a sheepskin or alpaca lined one, take the lining into account as well.

That way, you should not have much trouble getting your desired fit :)