• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie looking for help finding an A-2

Ddub

I am looking for an A-2 and stumbled across this forum. I have been reading for a few days but it will take me a while to get caught up. Maybe some of you experienced folks can speed up my learning curve.

This will be my 3rd A-2, I have not been satisfied with the first 2. I first bought a new Cooper from a magazine ad around ’95. I wore it a while but decided it was too small (now I’m not so sure it was) and sold it. Next I bought a "Branded Garments Inc, Orchard M/C Inc." from an “Army/Navy” type store locally. I’ve had it close to 10 years but seldom wear it because It is not a good fit, arms too long, too much room in the shoulders and chest. It is a 46, I am 5’ 10’ about 165.

I figure I’ve got time to try once more to find one I like. I am not concerned with authenticity at the minute level but want one that is easily recognized as an A-2. I can’t justify spending more that about $500. I can’t have HH, my wife owns a horse and would be a tad upset.

I would really value the suggestions of people on this forum.

Don Wilson

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Hello Don ... I was going to recommend the goatskin Gibson & Barnes Mark 31, but even that is now $668.00.

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/index.php? ... prod_id=48

Maybe the steerhide house A-2 from Eastman leather, but you will have to pay shipping ...

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastman ... -81106.stm

Otherwise it's second hand, from Eastman, Buzz Rickson, Real McCoy/The Few ... or Good Wear. Harder to find in goat, or steer, but they're out there.

Regarding the HH, I figure it honours the horse ... anyway, that's what I plan on telling my horse breeding Sister, if she ever finds out. ;)

smoos

Just be aware that Gibson and Barnes's are sized considerably larger in the body than the higher-end repros and vintage originals. In the shoulders and chest, a 42 G&B is equivolent to a 44 or 46 Eastman, Good Wear, or Aero. The G&B's are also cut more ample in the midriff area.

442RCT

Welcome aboard.

Did you just not like the Cooper jackets ? There's a ton of them for sale on eBay in all sorts of assorted sizes and they can be had for around $ 150.00 more or less.

Another brand you might want to consider is Avirex or Cockpit. But be sure you get the "issued" A-2's, otherwise you may get the ones with side handwarmer pockets. They usually go for between $ 150-200. These usually size as the Coopers and are in a trim military fit.

Tokyo Jones

I have an Aero A-2 in goatskin, tagged size 42, in great shape. It had sold recently on eBay, but is coming back because it was too small for the buyer. It can be had for much less than $500 if you're interested.

greyhound52

You and I are about the same I am 5'10 and 175lbs. I take a 42 in just about every Eastman, size 40 in Gibson and Barnes, 46 in Real McCoys. In a 42 or 44 in Aero depending on the style. I would troll ebay and here to find one in your price range since new is going for much more than that.

Ddub

Thanks for the quick replies. I had intended to buy new but will now consider used.

442RCT, At the time I felt the Cooper was a little small. Given what I know now It was probably a good fit. Unfortunately I don't know what size it was.

Don't write off US Authentic. Their goatskin model is a steal at only $314, and its cotton lining and wool knits are much nicer than the synthetics on the newer-spec jackets. Sure, they aren't all that "authentic" and their sizing is a little weird (trim but long), but if that works for you, cool. I have one of their horsehide A-2s, and its a very tough jacket with a rough-hewn, handmade feel (vs. assembly line perfection).

http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1

Cobblers161

Hi Don,

Not on a sales pitch here (Ok so I am) but I have an RMNZ Rough Wear size 42" in goat in the Buy/Sell section here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6082 I'm 6' and 170 and the fit is nice.

If it looks like you're size I'm always willing to haggle on the price.

If not, best of luck in your search!

Steve