• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New, worn and well worn - who buys for which end product ?

A

Anonymous

Why is it that the repro makers seem to shy away from having photos of their jackets after they've been worn awhiles ? Most of us buy our leather jackets because of how they'll look after some good wear (no pun intended :lol: ) rather than how they look new. ELC of course do show their 'Time-Worn' jackets but even those are how they look when you receive them rather than how you'll look in one after a ouple of years.

Are they missing out on potential customers or do they think that such photos will deter people ?

Which do YOU buy your leather for ?

Dave :ugeek:

That's an excellent question. I'm no marketing expert, so I don't know what market they are trying to reach exactly. I would think that real jacket heads who buy high end repros are very likely interested in jackets with "character" and would love to see some examples of the maker's jackets after actually acquiring said character. I know I would...

The members of this forum perhaps comprise a small percentage of sales to bigger makers like ELC or Aero, but how many times have we seen members talk, cuss, and discuss "the look" and hot water treatments, and wear patterns, and grain of hides, how to break in a jacket, etc?

Always a hot topic for us, I do wonder if worn-in jackets with character would scare off other less "look" oriented consumers?

Very good question. I guess I'm like a lot here and love the feeling of a new leather jacket in hand, but immediately start wondering what it will look like when broken in...

havocpaul

I think someone approached ELC to have a section on customers and their jackets to show how they look after some wear; a good idea. I noticed in the 2007 Buzz Rickson catalogue they did show an A-2 after significant wear and it looked good.

A

Anonymous

I hadn't seen that Mark. Thaks for posting it .

The earliest Aero A-2 hide looks great. The Anniversary looks pants !

Dave :ugeek:

Curahee

And you can take a look around the forum of course, but most members sell them too soon before they develop
any caracter. I think that's the problem in general here, their owners pamper them too much......like "how often should we
pecard our jackets ?"....what about seat belt abrasion ? etc etc and then sell them after 2 or 3 years.
Don't forget tha back in the day those men lived in their jackets, sweat gallons got shot, wore chutes and what not.
I believe you can find some tips in the Hells Angels manual :cool:

A

Anonymous

Don't get me wrong here folks ; I've got shed loads of photos of jackets. I save them to my hard drive every time I see an original photo I've not seen before or ebay sales or from on here.

My question was why don't most of the makers do much like that and do you buy your leather to look spic and span or because you know you'll like it more once it's been broken in ?

DAve :ugeek:

watchmanjimg

Unlike my watches, I like my leather jackets to display the scars of honest wear. Personally I'd prefer to wear them in myself rather than risk having the manufacturer screw it up. ELC Warhorse, .50 Cal., and the like appear to be exceptions to this general rule as I feel these are well done.