• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Reproduction WWII Jungle Sweaters from Bronson

I thought this may interest some of you .... I have been working with Bronson for the past few months to reproduce the hard-to-find WWII jungle sweater. Now, they are available for pre-order before they are put on Bronson's website and likely sell out forever.

These reproductions are made from 100% wool, just like the originals, while still lightweight and soft to the touch. We worked directly from the P.Q.D. Spec No. 192 "Shirt, Worsted, Knit, O.D." dated July 6, 1942. The sizing is accurate for the WWII sweaters based on the size table provided in P.Q.D. Spec No. 192.
The shirt was initially designed for Mountain Troops to be used as a replacement for the wool undershirt. In August 1942, during the initial production of jungle items for SWPA, it was added to the Jungle Clothing list along with several other items. It was to replace the blankets a soldier was issued to help soldiers keep warm at night when sleeping. This shift from a mountain item to a jungle was exemplified in its common name in the GI vernacular: "Jungle Sweater.”

During the war, they would be used from the mountains of Burma on the backs of Merrills Marauders to soldiers fighting in the steamy jungles of Bougainville and everywhere in between. It would continue to be issued post-war until early Vietnam, when it was eventually replaced by the tricot sleep shirt, with the color of OD periodically changing and the last contracts being from 1967.

Take a look and enjoy

Happy Hooligan

I just got an original one in a big lot of 10th Mountain gear WWII. I notice the original has green buttons and this has brown. My QM tag is faded just enough to not be able to read it exactly when it was made though to compair.

leper-colony

I just got an original one in a big lot of 10th Mountain gear WWII. I notice the original has green buttons and this has brown. My QM tag is faded just enough to not be able to read it exactly when it was made though to compair.
Same style on the Bronson standard 5-button, thats not so correct.
1697129505222.png

Last edited:
The buttons on the photographed sample will be replaced for the production run with the appropriate two-hole buttons used on the originals.

How much is an original before I let it get worn?
They are rarer than hens teeth. You can basically sell them for as much as you want. When you do find them, and the seller knows what they are, they can be around $300 +

and just to note -- the sample that was photographed for presale is just that, a sample. Changes will be made to the production which includes the buttons as previously noted and other pattern changes to better reflect the originals (which they have with them) along with the original QM specs.

CBI

wow orignal wool - I totally can't wear old wool. my skin turns red and itchy!!! I had to let go every WW2/Korea wool everything. glad you can handle it!!!