• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New project M-422a

NW Carver

Great jacket and the Mouton looks great!

I have had several jackets repaired by Aero and they have been brilliant. I have just had my Werber repaired (new knits/liner and collar) and asked Aero to replace the Mouton on the collar - somebody had already tried to do this by using the fur from a RAF Sidcot suit collar, which looked wrong and they had sewn the collar on slightly crooked.

Aero replaced it with a ginger/orange (at my request) mouton collar to match my Pritzger original (which collar has faded to that colour). Although they have done a great job, and I know that Werber jackets have a larger collar than other G1s (see John's CD), the fur itself seems to be slightly too long..Just wondering if I could trim this down to match my originals....mind you, some pictures I have seen show pilots putting their own mouton on their jackets via a locla tailor - and that is long 'haired' too...

Any thoughts please

oose

Hi all,

Just a little update, jacket still at Aero, they seem to be a little occupied at the moment, they promise it soon! :)

Found out a little about the pilot James H Spinks joined the Navy on 10th July 1942 as a pilot of torpedo bomber (TBM Avengers), flying in the Pacific (still don't have his unit) he is listed as a being on board USS Essex CV9 on April 16th 1944. He was awarded the Bronze star and Distinguished Flying Cross. Unfortunately he died last September at the age of 89. I am in the process of filling out Standard form 180 to see if I can get his service records but I'm not quite sure how it works over in the States. If anyone can add anything it would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Stu

Maverickson

oose said:
Hi all,

Just a little update, jacket still at Aero, they seem to be a little occupied at the moment, they promise it soon! :)

Found out a little about the pilot James H Spinks joined the Navy on 10th July 1942 as a pilot of torpedo bomber (TBM Avengers), flying in the Pacific (still don't have his unit) he is listed as a being on board USS Essex CV9 on April 16th 1944. He was awarded the Bronze star and Distinguished Flying Cross. Unfortunately he died last September at the age of 89. I am in the process of filling out Standard form 180 to see if I can get his service records but I'm not quite sure how it works over in the States. If anyone can add anything it would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Stu

Hi Stu,

I have been able to research my late Father's USN aviation career through this origanization which I call the NHC which may be located on their website at http://www.history.navy.mil/contact.html. For five bucks they will answer one question at the time. They claim to take 6 to 8 weeks to respond to those questions. The NCH has a wealth of information at their finger tips and they never cease to amaze me with what they are able to drag up. You should be pleased.

Good Luck!

Dave

oose

Hi all,

Work done and its here.. at last!
from this...
422afront-1.jpg

to this...
m422agf.jpg

more to follow.

bazelot

Stu, the jacket looks awesome. It really does look very good. Did they do anything to the nameplate? It looks like the letters are brighter than before. What size is it?

oose

Thanks guys,

bazelot its a size 38 and the name patch on the jacket has just been reattached, there was a previous name patch on it at some time, but the current one was glued and half sown on when I got it. The wings are a dull gold but the ENS J.H. SPINKS is very bright. here ia a better pic. Its going to be a everyday wearer so it will probably get worn out within 5 years lining and cuffs, (not the leather which is so thick and most, got in a rain storm today and the water was just sitting on the surface and running off), so I hope to get it all again but next time go a bit more historically accurate with the lining and label.

yours stu

m422agf2.jpg

oose

Hi all,

more pics as promised, photos taken on bright overcast day with no flash.
a.jpg

b-2.jpg

c-4.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f-1.jpg

h.jpg

yours stu

bazelot

That's a beauty Stu. I would never dare taking an original M-422A in the rain. How did the shell cost you?

oose

Hi bazelot,

I got it when I got a lot more $ to the £ so just over £50 so the whole jacket with the work came to around £220 with postage etc, and its like a new jacket now so I think that its worth the money, cheaper than a hight end repro. The leather is so thick on this one with no thin weak spots, it feels about twice as thick at the leather on my 50's 7823 G-1. As for the rain, I live in England its unavoidable !! ;)

yours stu