• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New head Gear Type C flying helmet.

Chris 55

The chance of getting a B type at reasonable money are way off so when this C Type came up locally I jumped at the chance of having one to go with my Irvin.
So I need goggles now.
Most probably mk8.
Then the oxygen mask hmmm
will have to be H Type as there cheaper and I believe they came into in 1945.

IMG_20210503_153029.jpg
IMG_20210503_153034.jpg

Micawber

Good B Type helmets are indeed fetching good money now because so many assume that this or that example must surely have been worn by a pilot in a Hurricane or Spitfire in combat during the Battle of Britain but of course they were also worn by airmen, and not just pilots, in the other RAF commands too. A close [ish] match is the RCAF B types which are still available for sensible money. I've just entered one along with RCAF MkIII goggles into a military auction.

Like Irvin's so much gear C Types used to be cheap and plentiful surplus. Back in the '60's my uncle used to wear one to protect his Brylcreemed locks while riding his motorbike and sidecar combo but prices have shot up in recent years. People forget they were still in service use years after the war.