• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new g1 break in question

I got a brand new tailor made g1 style cowhide jacket with removable collar via zipper and buttons.

I love it, BUT maybe i'm just paranoid but i feel like it kind of hurts my neck. the collar feels really hard. I've never had a 100% brand new jacket, everything prior was a hand me down. will it break in over time? I have a heavier b15 with a removable collar too, but with just buttons. I got it already broken in but it's always been too big so i wanted something more form fitting

will it be comfortable over time?

dbtk44

I have a routine whenever I get a new jacket or leather pants....60-90 min in a tumble dryer on air fluff (NO HEAT). Takes about 75% of the stiffness out, at least.
Did it with my first G1, which was Not new, but hadn't been worn very much apparenty....had the same issue, the collar just seemed way too stiff and kinda bugged me.
60min on air fluff tumble (NO HEAT) and the difference was quite noticeable. A lot less stiffness, a lot more comfort. Well worth the 60min out of my day.

Anyway, give it a try if you like, won't hurt the jacket....just remember, NO HEAT.

I have a routine whenever I get a new jacket or leather pants....60-90 min in a tumble dryer on air fluff (NO HEAT). Takes about 75% of the stiffness out, at least.
Did it with my first G1, which was Not new, but hadn't been worn very much apparenty....had the same issue, the collar just seemed way too stiff and kinda bugged me.
60min on air fluff tumble (NO HEAT) and the difference was quite noticeable. A lot less stiffness, a lot more comfort. Well worth the 60min out of my day.

Anyway, give it a try if you like, won't hurt the jacket....just remember, NO HEAT.
sounds like an awesome solution. thank you, i will try it

hi again, so can i also use this method for a cowhide jacket that's fully lined with shearling? The shearling is soft but very dense and the jacket is stiff as a board. is this a good solution or would that ruin it? thanks

dbtk44

hi again, so can i also use this method for a cowhide jacket that's fully lined with shearling? The shearling is soft but very dense and the jacket is stiff as a board. is this a good solution or would that ruin it? thanks
Hey there! Yes will definitely work with a cowhide/shearling jacket too. About a month ago, I got a pretty nice sheepskin "Irvin RAF" copy, brand new w/tags and everything. It was stiff..almost like wearing furry cardboard lol
Ended up doing 120min total on tumble dry with a blanket....HUGE difference! MUCH, much more comfortable, and got some nice "grain" going in the outer finish. The fur itself also softened up quite a bit too, which was almost scratchy in parts, the first time I put it on...Definitely night/day difference, a lot more enjoyable to wear now.

Definitely, I'd give it a spin...pun intended lol
Again, all its really doing is replicating lots and lots of movement (just like wearing it and moving around, which is what softens leather), in a much, much shorter amount of time.
Let us know how yours turns out, please!

Hey there! Yes will definitely work with a cowhide/shearling jacket too. About a month ago, I got a pretty nice sheepskin "Irvin RAF" copy, brand new w/tags and everything. It was stiff..almost like wearing furry cardboard lol
Ended up doing 120min total on tumble dry with a blanket....HUGE difference! MUCH, much more comfortable, and got some nice "grain" going in the outer finish. The fur itself also softened up quite a bit too, which was almost scratchy in parts, the first time I put it on...Definitely night/day difference, a lot more enjoyable to wear now.

Definitely, I'd give it a spin...pun intended lol
Again, all its really doing is replicating lots and lots of movement (just like wearing it and moving around, which is what softens leather), in a much, much shorter amount of time.
Let us know how yours turns out, please!
sweet. may as well give it a spin as you say, because this thing hurts like hell around my neck