• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Buzz/HPA "collaboration" Bronco A-2 (at HPA)

CBI

br_a2_29191_thumb.jpg

Perhaps I should not post this, maybe its just the quality of the photos, but am I missing something here? This jacket is $1,600 and based on what I am seeing, it looks like a cheap Mall jacket. Totally unconvincing in every way. I would expect this photo to be in L.L. Bean or something. I know Buzz makes great stuff but this seems like a real departure from anything related to a quality/accurate product. This particular Bronco is a "special" collaboration between Buzz and HPA. First time I have looked on the HPA site in months. If I am off base, I stand corrected. Sorry to be "this way" but I hate to see this happen.

Weasel_Loader

I know what you mean. Myself a Buzz A-2 owner, I can honestly say they are not worth $1600 (by far). Having said that, I LOVE my Buzz A-2. The fit is better than I would have ever expected. Of course I didn't pay $1600 for mine (I left that for someone else :D ). In my opinion, the Buzz jackets are well constructed and use great quality stuff but I feel they miss on many of what GW, ELC and some others take pride in replicating when it comes to the contract. Very strange as they've nailed the nylon market VERY WELL with regards to authenticity.

Not sure how many Buzz A-2s ELC is or has sold, but I can't imagine anyone but the very wealthy taking the plunge. You could darn near buy two GW or ELCs at that price. :roll:

asiamiles

CBI said:
This jacket is $1,600 and based on what I am seeing, it looks like a cheap Mall jacket. Totally unconvincing in every way.
Not worth the money, but I don't understand your other complaints.

greyhound52

I too am a Buzz A2 owner...have two of them didn't pay 1600 for either one and like Danny love the fit and feel of the jackets. I would like to look at some more photos of this new jacket to determine whether it is ok. But for 1600 I would go with two well almost two Goodwears.

CBI

the pockets look too big and stiff, the leather looks of limited character/grain, the epps look too wide (I am aware that Bronco epps are wider than some contracts), the sleeves look too bulky, the leather looks to be a characterless color, the body of the jacket looks too long vs. shoulder width ............................................. just my observations - I could be wrong.

havocpaul

having previously owned two Buzz A-2's I found them to be exceptionally well-made, grainy hides, accurate and incredible fits. I think the comments made might have a lot to do with the way the jacket is displayed, I wouldn't be too critical until I'd seen it actually worn on a person. I think it's far from being a 'mall jacket' and I wouldn't pass it by if the price was right; has anyone here ever paid the actual quoted price for a Buzz A-2?

CBI

Yes, I agree that it may very well be the photo(s) as I stated and I agree that Buzz makes excellent products. Perhaps its all just a display issue and for sure, unless one has one in hand, its hard to say. On the flip side, are folks suppose to place an order based on what they see???? I guess one just needs to go to the Buzz site and all will be well .......... :)

Looking at the HPA site, the other Buzz A-2 has that same "cheap" look (to me - its the color), not like what we expect from them (Buzz). Come to think of it, HPA's website photos could be stronger in most cases. I never really visit the site. Perhaps the real culprit here :evil:

havocpaul

I actually think that most of the repro makers could do better displaying their jackets, I personally would like to see them on real models or at least better full figure mannequins, at least JC shows his being worn by himself which helps especially if shot in natural light. I hadn't visited the HPA site in months, there are a few new items, I hadn't seen the Buzz USN M-421 before, that looks nice.

CBI

Agreed.

John does a great job but even he had mentioned how hard it can be photographing jackets in anything other than natural light. I know some folks look at his photos and think the jackets are too shiny but that's not the case (the outdoor photos show the real shine - or lack there of) but its hard to get the detailed shots outside unless one has a good outdoor set-up. I do like the fact that HE wears all of the different contracts so one can see how each one fits, the various cuts, drape, etc. No relation to the Buzz Bronco topic, but my GW Bronco should arrive today or tomorrow!!! :D

bseal

See Mr. Chapman, that is how a Bronco is supposed to look!

"Now, go home and get your shinebox."
- Goodfellas

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
I actually think that most of the repro makers could do better displaying their jackets, I personally would like to see them on real models or at least better full figure mannequins, at least JC shows his being worn by himself which helps especially if shot in natural light.

While it's nice in theory to see what a jacket looks like being worn, whenever I see flight jackets being modelled on Japanese websites they usually look awful. I don't think you could ask for much more than those photos of the Buzz, though I agree that John displays his jackets extremely well.

havocpaul

I can see your point about the Japanese websites where they wear the jackets, it might help if they actually modelled the correct size to their frame(s)! They are more keen to throw poses in a fashion show way than display the jackets in the best way IMO. A combination of mannequin and real person was just a suggestion to give a better indication of how it looks when worn rather than angled photos on just a display bust.