• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aero Leather "Happy Days" (unfortunate name) jacket

ChuckO

100_0126.jpg

This worked out pretty well. I just got this from Aero Leather Clothing. It's their "Happy Days" jacket. Man I hate saying that. It's basically an A2 with the flap pockets removed and hand warmers added. I had them swap the stock collar for their Bronco A2 collar because the stock collar was a very "Fonzi" oversize thing. It's their seal, jerky horsehide and rust knits as well. It also has their black, quilted lining for added warmth.

I love the look of A2's and got rid of my Buzz Ricson A2 to buy this because I don't find them all that functional with no usable pockets and the weight tends to be too much for windbreaker weather and too little for colder weather.

I think I'm going to call it the "Suburban Aviator" from now on since I hate the "Happy Days" name so much.

Mac

Now that looks really good. Classic Aero look, seal and rust, but different. I see how the slash pockets allow for the front panels to drape nicely. I think the Suburban Aviator could become a very popular choice. Thanks for the pic.

Cheers,

Mac

ChuckO

Thanks. I love the near black seal and the rust also. It also has a chest pocket for the shades. Like I said I love A2's but I just can't get on without pockets.

Tim P

heeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
cool.
sorry...
it does look nice. an a2 with b6 pockets.

ChuckO

I just emailed Aero telling them what a great job they did and that my only complaint was the model name. I wince every time I think or type it. Not that I didn't love "Happy Days".

ChuckO

Cool-a-mundo!

There's another cool A2 variation I bought that didn't end up working out. It was a Memphis style cop leather. It's very A2 like except the flaps themselves are on top of the leather but the flap pocket is under the leather and it has hand warmers. The one I got wasn't too happening, to mall jacket cut wise, but I thought the design itself had a lot of potential.

deand

I posted this video clip at the FL and a memeber said the jacket Gene Barry is wearing in it looks like the Aero "Happy Days", a black A-2 with slash pockets:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LXjs55Ywpw[/video]

dean

ChuckO

I just did a Google image search for the fonz and his jacket has two big problems: the collar is a true clown collar and the knits look like a cheezy, cheap replacement. The leather itself looks pretty good. Nicely aged.

I remember in the first few shows he wore a light blue Baracuda or some other windbreaker. I think in honor of James Dean.

Vcruiser

Is the jerky seal HH on your new jacket A2 weight...or heavier as the vintage HH..??
Thanks
Van

ChuckO

Vcruiser said:
Is the jerky seal HH on your new jacket A2 weight...or heavier as the vintage HH..??
Thanks
Van

I think A2 weight. It seems almost as heavy as the Buzz Ricson A2 I had but less stiff.

Mac

To follow up on Dean's comment about War of the Worlds (1953) jacket resembling the Suburban Aviator...

In this night scene, the slash pockets are visible, and jacket looks black:

war1.jpg

Here, the jacket is brown:

war4.jpg

Mac

deand

You're right..it is brown. And I'm pretty sure that's either an actual M-41 he wears in the scene at the cylinder pit near the beginning, or a civvie version of one. I think, anyway.

dean