• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New addition for me: an original Monarch

CBI

Thanks to the generosity of a VLJ member, I am now the proud owner of an original Monarch contract A-2. It’s a size 46; the horsehide is in outstanding shape. The knits are RMNZ replacements. It’s a pretty full fit but with this one, I can layer for the cold weather. I plan on this being a careful but frequent wearer. Could not be happier. The leather is really supple. My 6 year old photographer was having an off day and I look like I have been hit but a truck or just awoke from cryogenic sleep – but the jacket is of import here. My first original for me in 20+years. Owned by John Chapman, then another VLJ'er, now me. Pre Chapman - no idea :)

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

deand

Congratulations on a prime example of vintage and how good classics can look! Very happy for you!

dean

better duck

CBI said:
My 6 year old photographer was having an off day and I look like I have been hit but a truck or just awoke from cryogenic sleep

Now that's not nice, blaming your innocent 6 year old for this. Let's concede that not even a professional photographer would have fared much better ... :D
Na, just kidding. Seems we all feel slightly embarrassed when seeing ourselves on the screen and start making apologetic noises.

BTW: great jacket!

Roughwear

The Monarch is one of my favourite contracts. I have seen this jacket before when the George posted pictures of this beauty. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4316&start=20

I believe it has also been re-lined. Monarchs fit trim, with an original 46 being similar to a 44. My size 44 is like a 42. Wear it in good health.

Grant

Nice to see how Yeager's A-2 looked when it was first issued. Wow, that's the finest original Monarch I've seen! Congrats and enjoy wearing it.

bombs away

Hello,
congratulations ! This beautiful jacket fits perfectly.
It's good to know you're back to original jackets, looking at your Monarch I'm sure you don't regret that...

Tim

CBI

thanks guys - yes, it has been re-lined. I forgot to mention this. Really amazing to think this jacket is almost 70 years old and its still very solid. No holes, tears, weak spots that I can tell. It just roomy enough to were I don't feel like I am stressing any points (elbows, shoulders, etc.) so I am hoping it will last quite some time.

:)

1911A1US

GREAT A2,you folks amaze me,where do you pick up these wonderful pieces of history?ebay? shows?thrift shops,in all my years I just can not find a NICE A2 jacket..whats the secret?Brian

greyhound52

1911A1US said:
GREAT A2,you folks amaze me,where do you pick up these wonderful pieces of history?ebay? shows?thrift shops,in all my years I just can not find a NICE A2 jacket..whats the secret?Brian

Just waiting for the right one to come along and then taking action to get it. I have gotten most of mine from friends here on the forum. I have only bought one from ebay. This one turned out to be a very good jacket.

CBI

I purchased this particular jacket from a VLJ member. Nice originals are out there and are obtainable if one has the funds for this crazy hobby. I was wanting an original as a wearer and this one is really working out well. Its a little large on me but all I need is a heavier shirt and it fits perfectly. The extra room avoids putting any extra stress on the leather which is a good thing. :)

greyhound52

CBI said:
I purchased this particular jacket from a VLJ member. Nice originals are out there and are obtainable if one has the funds for this crazy hobby. I was wanting an original as a wearer and this one is really working out well. Its a little large on me but all I need is a heavier shirt and it fits perfectly. The extra room avoids putting any extra stress on the leather which is a good thing. :)

You know what is amazing I tried an original Monarch size 44 and it was too small on me. Same thing with a Roughwear 18091 size 46 was huge and the 44 fitted perfectly.

Roughwear

It is well known that Monarch A2s always fit smaller than most other makes of the same tagged size. My 44 Monarch fits like an average original 42.