• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need an opinion call...what is the best B-3 for the money?

lt508th

Good afternoon all,
So my quest for a B-3 jacket continues and I would like to ask the group for their opinions. Which B-3 on the market today do you think is the best value, based on cost and authentic details, compared to an original? I must admit, I would love to have a Real McCoy's B-3 or an ELC, but I feel the cost is nearly prohibitive. Still, both jackets seem to be very authentic in detail. Also, can anyone provide me with an honest opinion of either Flightjacket.com or Cockpitusa.com's B-3's? Thanks, in advance. ~ Tim

lt508th

Re: Need an opinion call...what is the best B-3 for the mone

ghq1 ,
Thanks for the honest opinion. I have never actually seen (in person) either a Real McCoy's or an ELC, but understand that their quality is exception. I have on the other hand seen WPG's and don't care for them at all (no offense to anyone who owns them), and I have also seen the Flightjacket.com version, which seemed of very good quality to me anyway. I am also debating over whether I can justify the high cost of the RMNZ or ELC considering how many times per year I will actually wear the jacket. I live in MD and the winters here are typically not very severe. ~ Tim

Silver Surfer

save up your coin, and poney up for the elc red skin. 2nd choice? elc seal b-3. both are now made of "war horse" hides, and the red skin now has war horse hide facings. imho, the best on the market. if ya get a child of the lesser gods, you will always be twitching for an elc. btdt. just aiding and abetting.

lt508th

Silver Surfer,

Yeah I was eyeing up the ELC Red-Man version...to me that really is the "silver tuna". It may just be time for me to part with some other items to obtain what I really want quality wise and not take out a second mortagage! :shock: Thanks for sharing your opinion. ~ Tim

dmar836

Buy used, off-season. If you buy the "best", even if used, you will never feel the need to explain your compromise to others nor will you ever be unhappy with the decision.
That says nothing about whether it's wise or not to drop a lot of cash on toys but, still, this applies to about anything.

JMO,
Dave

High Iron

I picked up a used ELC B-3 off ebayuk for just under $800.00. Probably not the greatest deal but it's a keeper. Keep looking and you'll find a good deal and in the meantime keep putting away a couple of extra bucks to get the one that will knock your socks off.

lt508th

Thanks to all for their honest opinions and advice, it is very much appreciated! I have pretty much been of the opinion to buy second hand if at all possible to hopefully obtain a better deal price wise, and get the quality I am after. So, looks like I just keep looking and hope for that decent deal.

bseal,
As to my budget, I am fine regarding cash and the "War Department" (my lovely wife) has no issues as she knows I will hunt for the right deal. It's the thought of actually dropping that much money on a jacket that has me second guessing my decision to pursue a quality B-3. I will keep looking and let you all know how I make out.
Thanks,
Tim

Robman

For whatever it is worth, I have a Gibson and Barnes historic B3 and it's excellent. Have had the "big named" B3s and find this just as good.

Check out airfrogusmc's custom M445 from US Authentic. He had custom work done to their ANJ 4 and got an awesome jacket for significantly less than the "major" manufacturers. I am sure they could do a B3 for you.

handworn

This whole thing reminds me of Warren Buffett. He said to a friend, "How to you justify a private jet?"
The friend said, "You don't justify it. You just rationalize it." Sounds like what we sometimes do with the higher-end jackets. ;)

airfrogusmc

Robman said:
For whatever it is worth, I have a Gibson and Barnes historic B3 and it's excellent. Have had the "big named" B3s and find this just as good.

Check out airfrogusmc's custom M445 from US Authentic. He had custom work done to their ANJ 4 and got an awesome jacket for significantly less than the "major" manufacturers. I am sure they could do a B3 for you.

Hey Robman,

Long time and thanks. I love my M 445 from USA. In fact I think they were a supplier for the W&G catalog folks. Nice sheepskin for sure and they'll make custom.

airfrogusmc

Just incase anyone was interested

Heres a few photos One piece back...
IMG_19742-1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

Some modifications
Talon zip (Thanks Clark)

IMG_8234.jpg

IMG_9469.jpg

IMG_9470.jpg

And some added riveted USMC buttons.
IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_8234.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

High Iron

That is one nice 445 airfrog.

Tim, here are photos of the ELC I picked up last winter. Like I said, may not have been the greatest deal in the world but it sure was cheaper than buying new and I got lucky for my first B-3, the fit is right on. This jacket makes me want to move to Alaska just so I can wear it more.

290063e3.jpg

1ae1ba22.jpg

8a6186d3.jpg

7122ed57.jpg

airfrogusmc

Looks good......

ELC does make one nice B-3....