• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Navy Woolen flight shirt - any info?

brownbanana

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but it seems correct enough.

I'm wondering if anybody has information on a "Bureau of Aeronautics - Navy Woolen Flight Shirt"? It's olive green wool with matching green buttons. I'd just like to know of its time period and any general information on it. Thanks.

brownbanana

Thanks, mine looks exactly like that albeit with a black tag. I just recently picked one up so I figured I'd try to learn a little bit about it. The contract/ID/etc. numbers on the tag of my shirt doesn't use the standard naval clothing [white tag] as on that ebay auction. Thanks for the ebay search!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
brownbanana said:
The contract/ID/etc. numbers on the tag of my shirt doesn't use the standard naval clothing [white tag] ....

That's the info we need .... if you post that I can at least date it for you.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
You're welcome, but now I'm not much help ... the format of the spec. number is 1950's, probably superseding aviators flight shirt model 55s40, but the number itself, I can't find anywhere.

A mystery shirt ... no other info on the label?

brownbanana

Right below the Contract no. is "PHILA. Q.M.DEPOT, MFG. DIV." and no further information is listed. If you don't mine, may I also ask what about the spec. number places it in the 1950's? I'm not familiar at all with the dating on these shirts and would love to learn about it. Thanks.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Right below the Contract no. is "PHILA. Q.M.DEPOT, MFG. DIV.

Oh okay ... they made it themselves. :)

may I also ask what about the spec. number places it in the 1950's?

The prefixes, MIL-S- (shirt, or suit), or MIL-J- (jacket) etc, first appeared circa 1950/51.