• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Named WW2 US Navy flyers belt

Peter Graham

Here's a nice belt I recently picked up. The webbing is in perfect shape and the buckle is a beautiful mirror finish nickel on heavyweight brass. Does anyone know if belts like this were an issue item or private purchase ? It seems a bit OTT to have each belt personalised like this. This is another one to file under "Names I must get around to researching". Meanwhile it will serve a purpose by holding my pants up !
belt001.jpg

belt002.jpg

watchmanjimg

Nice score, Peter. Such an item was privately purchased, perhaps overseas. I remember seeing a salty Chief Petty Officer aboard a ship at Whidbey Island NAS in Washington State during the summer of 1997. His buckle caught my attention because it was noticeably larger than issued versions. It had his rank and last name engraved across the top like yours, while the bottom read "Bad Motherf---er." Talk about OTT!

dujardin

nice Peter, really nice.

when i was into Navy, we used to buy such personnalized items, body warmer, zippo, tie pins, caps aso aso....
they were all private puchases and tolerate when aboard but not ashore.

byeeeeeeeee marcel

bazelot

Peter, I own exactly the same one ( with a different name of course). I was told that those are post WWII. A very nice belt indeed.

pablocham

Nice buckle. I think those were generally made post-war in olongapo or subic bay in the philippines. You see sometimes see watchbands on ebay and elsewhere called 'olongapo bands,' which are made of the same material and similarly hand filed.

Burnsie

Here's my Dad's buckle. He was with VA-215 in the early 60's so that dates it - the belt itself is long gone from too much wear in my high school days!
Dadbuckle.jpg