• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name that L-2B!

watchmanjimg

No fools here, Dean. The jacket can be clearly identified, but there's no shame in not knowing. I'll bet once you know what it is you'll never get it wrong again. :D

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I meant 7448F ... I couldn't see all the details, but without pocket flaps it's version 3, or 4, and I figured that since you had it down to one year, I could eliminate 7448H. Then I Googled to find out when Farfel enlisted.

What is it ... Marshall?

What glaring error have I made here? :lol:

watchmanjimg

Honestly, I'm reluctant to say you've made an error because it seems we never know for sure. Doesn't it appear to have the telltale dual parallel seams on the puller tab, a la '67 Satellite? Is this feature perhaps not so telltale after all? :?

The '65 year was Dean's idea, and I'm pretty sure he was joking around so that's likely a red herring. I know Farfel was stated to have enlisted in summer '66, but we don't know for sure when the picture was taken although the insignia on the clothing behind him suggests it was at some point during flight school. I'm not sure how long the training would have lasted, but then there's that pesky fiscal year vs. calendar year issue that makes the '67 Satellite a distinct possibility. After all, who else would get the freshest gear but new pilots-to-be?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
The '65 year was Dean's idea, and I'm pretty sure he was joking around so that's likely a red herring.

I didn't borrow '65 from Dean, just that it's the first year without pocket flaps.

But ah, the distinctive Satellite pull stitching ... didn't spot that. One of the '67 Satellite contracts is a low number, so production may well have started in 1966.

deand

deeb7 said:
watchmanjimg said:
The '65 year was Dean's idea, and I'm pretty sure he was joking around so that's likely a red herring.

I didn't borrow '65 from Dean, just that it's the first year without pocket flaps.

But ah, the distinctive Satellite pull stitching ... didn't spot that. One of the '67 Satellite contracts is a low number, so production may well have started in 1966.

Honestly I knew the maker started with "S", and that it was mid-sixties, having no pocket flaps. That's all. Couldn't remember "satellite", but I did think it was related to the Yeager discussion of late. I should have reviewed that thread, then I realy believe I would have nailed the questions. :D I love the challenge and the learning, and you're right, Jim, I'll never forget it now!

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
deand said:
Honestly I knew the maker started with "S", and that it was mid-sixties, having no pocket flaps.

Strangely, the 7448F Skyline contract retained the pocket flaps, so the Alpha was the only version 3 ... slash pockets, but still with the snap at the waist.

deand

deand said:
USMC_GAU-21 said:
Here's a hint.....look at the zipper pull!!!

Gy Dan ;)

Okay. I'm looking. And I'm thinking... :?

dean

Quoting my own quote, but I didn't read previous posts correctly; the zipper pull refers to the piece of leather, I see, not the metal piece, and the leather stitching pattern is the key here. If anyone says the experts here are not patient with newbies to flight jacket expertise, well, they're wrong. I could really get into this spot I. D. game. It's fun! Happy New Year!

dean

oose

Hi all,

Here is another piece of Yeager Nylon I've not seen before any ideas its taken in 1956 and has a 417th Fighter-Bomber Squadron patch on it. Any ideas or a better pic

plus here are a couple more from the 50's...

Here he is as CO of 1st FDS, the same squdron as the pilot in my avatar. Would love a bigger version of this if any one has it, please share!

stu

Atticus

watchmanjimg said:
Unlike the Chuck Yaeger pic I recently posted, there's an unobstructed view of the jacket in this photo. Can anyone identify the year and manufacturer?

http://www.utahtribute.com/uploads/DAD.jpg

I just printed a copy of the photo and took it next door to our crime lab. The techs over there enlarged and digitally enhanced the picture and then scanned it into the RonCo Gamma Ray Interior Chromatic Reverser (RGRICR) so that we could view the pocket tag. Hard to tell for sure, but the image appears to read DSA 100 C 67 Satellite.

Well...not really....but that's what they would do on CSI...

AF

Peter Graham

Atticus said:
I just printed a copy of the photo and took it next door to our crime lab. The techs over there enlarged and digitally enhanced the picture and then scanned it into the RonCo Gamma Ray Interior Chromatic Reverser (RGRICR) so that we could view the pocket tag. Hard to tell for sure, but the image appears to read DSA 100 C 67 Satellite.

Well...not really....but that's what they would do on CSI...

AF
:lol: :lol: You had me going there for a minute. Very funny.

deand

I love the cap on the guy on the left in the third photo down. I know, I'm supposed to focus on the jackets, but I hold both equally important, headgear and jacket.

dean