• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N2B black tag with star

Phantomfixer

N2btag.jpg

N2bstar.jpg

N2b.jpg

Thought I would share these pics. I picked the jacket up at a local shop. Cost less than 2 pizzas (east coast price)
Can anyone date it? I am thinking late 50's early 60's
Too small for me to wear, but a nice jacket
John

Phantomfixer

Agreed a bigger size would be nice. I must imagine there are more jackets around here. It is an AF town. The nylon bug bit me a few years ago. I started finding more MA-1s around at yard sales, most from the mid 60's and early 70's. It would be nice to see the older generation MA-1s and the B-15 series....I posted pics last year of a very early nylon N3B with the star....
John

Peter Graham

alcon said:
When did the Air Force stop using the real fur trim on the hoods?
David would be able to answer that to the month but I think real fur completely disappeared about 1972. David would also be able to date the jacket but I'd say 60 or 61. It's a nice example and one that I wouldn't mind owning.

Phantomfixer

It looks like the Mil Spec number is 6728B. Might be a 8, but I think it is a B. If that helps date it. I think the O2 mask tab and mike snaps dropped off early 60's but not sure...I was lucky to run into it...
John

Stony

David would be able to answer that to the month but I think real fur completely disappeared about 1972.

The one I was issued in 1972 had real fur, so that's about right. Of course mine could have been an earlier issue that they were just recycling.

Phantomfixer

Heck in the mid to late 90s I was issued blue mittens and I came across two sets of blue parka pants. I had a friend in charge of mobility gear at Dover. Anytime he came across anything blue he called me. Once he gave me 3 N2Bs (not blue mid 80s issue)and a few WWII canteen covers. Good guy, wish I kept all that stuff. Most went to Ebay... :|
I heard only heard mind you from a gent in DRMO, he used to recieve aircraft parts wrapped in sheepskin to protect them during shipment from Iceland. I believe him...

Weasel_Loader

Those early N-2Bs with mic tabs are rare indeed. Much more rare than equivalent N-3Bs. Took me a very long time to find one in good condition. Nice find! ;)

Phantomfixer

Thanks! I was pleased to add it to the collection.
A question about the tabs...the L2 series jacket came about during the B-15 era and the early MA-1, Does the early L2 series have the o2 mask tab and the mic straps....if not why, I wonder

Weasel_Loader

The L2 jacket did in fact have a mic tab (leather), but no straps for comm cords. Not sure why the L series jackets never had the comm straps. You've got a nice early N-2B and they are very difficult to find in wearable condition. ;)

Phantomfixer

Thanks Weasel,

I started digging out my MA-1s. The oldest is a 63 Alpha with what I assume is a Crown zip (CC on slider). A few 67s, one being a Satellite, and a few early 70's Alphas. Most are Xlarge or LG. Two L2Bs from early 70s and two N3Bs from ???both have the star, both nylon, one is mint, no tag, the other is worn by a flightline guy with a shredded tag. Both sz xlarge by fit, and of course a 1/2 dozen cotton N3Bs.
Two CWU-1s
MINT K2B med reg
All these from local yard sales etc. I walked into a gentlemans basement the other day. Saw a blue B-15 and a green B-15, this is an old guy mid 80s......both jackets from the 60s civilian made ugh but they made me turn my head. The green B-15 even had the right color fur collar...
John
Ramstein 83-87 F-4Es :p /F-16s (85-87) :cry:

Weasel_Loader

That's quite a collection! I love those C&C zippers on the MA-1s. Much better than the Conmar clips. Your lucky to find such gems at yard sales.

*Hey, I worked F-4s too! F-4Gs at Spangdahlem just before they retired them in early 90s. Loved working that old bird! ;)

Phantomfixer

Yeah I saw you were a WW. Figured you had a little Phantom in you. Spang was just down the road from us. I think we received our F4E from you guys in the late 70s early 80s. At least that is what I was told. We transitioned to the Falcon in 85 and sent our F4s to the ANG back in the states..miss the old hog. Most of my friends at Ramstein were muzzle&%$#ers. Good times
john