• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N1 Deck jacket question

bazelot

Hi,
I just acquired a size 50 N1 deck jacket dated to early 1943 and it's definitely going to need a wash. Would washing it by hand damage the Alpaca? I am not too keen on having it dry cleaned as I am not sure how the alpaca would handle it.
this thing is huge and in no way anything close to what I could wear :)
Thanks, Tom

Tim P

I think with it being a deck jacket there is a certain amount of implied resistance to wet. a hand wash in light non detergent soap with a thorough rinse and an air dry should not do it any harm.
If in doubt though, dry clean.

bazelot

Grant said:
I wouldn't wash an N-1! Dry clean only.

Wouldn't that damage the alpaca. THere is a big oil stain on it that I will try to remove. I don't know if dry cleaning would do the trick for that.

Grant

If it's an oil stain I'm not sure anything will help it. Vintage collectors I know have always dry cleaned N-1's that were soiled. They only negative affect they mentioned was the fading of the USN stencil. Good luck washing it and let us know if you have any success.

arclight

Try a 3:1 ratio of water and Woolite, spray it on and very lightly give it a scrub with an old toothbrush or vegeatable brush and leave it set for 10 minutes. Go back, respray and then wipe it down with wet cloth or sponge.

If there is no improvement, give it one more attempt with a 2:1 ratio.

You're not going to damage the garment, but if it's oil, that's a tough stain. Good luck with it.

bazelot

thanks I will try that. The seller says it's oil. I am supposed to receive the jacket today. I will give it all the love I can :). Hopefully it looks better than on the pictures :)

arclight said:
Try a 3:1 ratio of water and Woolite, spray it on and very lightly give it a scrub with an old toothbrush or vegeatable brush and leave it set for 10 minutes. Go back, respray and then wipe it down with wet cloth or sponge.

If there is no improvement, give it one more attempt with a 2:1 ratio.

You're not going to damage the garment, but if it's oil, that's a tough stain. Good luck with it.

bazelot

I got the jacket today. This thing is HUGE!!!! It says size 50 and it fits like one. The contract number dates it to January 1943. It has the sunburst Talon zipper so it is one of the earliest ones I have seen.
I will clean it up a bit and post pics.

bazelot

Grant said:
Cool. The early N-1's have beautifully thick alpaca. Is it a green or blue N-1?

It's green. The alpaca in pretty thick but the collar is not in good shape though.