• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Goodwear Dubow after two years of use

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is my Dubow after almost two years of heavy and honest use, some water treatment has been used as well, but only after the jacket was properly "seated" by wearing it. It is the old leather used by John, and I´m really pleased by the way it has finally developed after loosing the heavy aniline dye that came with. I think it is worth posting some pics. of this somehow devaluated Goodwear jackets. Enjoy!!!

Roughwear

Your Dubow looks fantastic. It has developed a really authentic-looking patina, just like an original. Thanks for sharing the pics.

dujardin

wowwwww

splendid.....
mine is far away from your result, i really have to wear my jacket more often

byeeeeee marcel

Marv

very nice indeed.....I thnk my next A2 will finally be a GW, probably a Star or a Poughkeepsie.

helodrvr

Why do you say, " somehow devaluated Goodwear jacket?" To me, it looks as if by wearing it and caring for it for the past two years you have opened up the jacket's true potential. If anything, especially to you, it has increased in value! It looks great!

Andrew

In praise of John's old leather

A lot is said about the latest leather John's using, but i'm loving the way the old stuff he made mine out of also 2 years ago is improving with age. Pilotm, i'm guessing that yours was the same batch of horsehide as mine- if I recall it was fairly new at that time, however mines aged quite differently.

Yours appears to have had an even wear over it which has subtley taken off a lot of the top dye and left the original in the deeper areas all over, whereas mine's got a slight amount of that but wear is more pronounced on the edges and wear points with a number of "chips" in the dye where it came off completely. It started doing this from early on in life too and i've seen the same on others of the time. Mine's had the usual loads of wear, rained on, some HWT and even a little ST recently (Steam treatment- this is worth a try for the brave), have you ever done anything to your to accelerate the wearing off of the dye- sanding or alcohol?

This shot shows mine on the right beside my "new" original 27552 for comparison.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_00042.jpg

Orig RW 27752 on left, GW Dubow on right
DSC_0008.jpg

GW Dubow collar on top.
DSC_0010.jpg

helodrvr said:
Why do you say, " somehow devaluated Goodwear jacket?" To me, it looks as if by wearing it and caring for it for the past two years you have opened up the jacket's true potential. If anything, especially to you, it has increased in value! It looks great!

I didn´t mean that I felt mine as devaluated, it only gives the impression to me that no one seems to like this old batch of jackets as much as they are deserved to be liked. The new japanese HH John is using is absolutely out of this world but the old jackets are also quite something, and not much of us talks about them anymore. That is what I meant by "devaluated". I do agree with you in that it is now showing its true value.

Quote from Andrew:

"A lot is said about the latest leather John's using, but i'm loving the way the old stuff he made mine out of also 2 years ago is improving with age. Pilotm, i'm guessing that yours was the same batch of horsehide as mine- if I recall it was fairly new at that time, however mines aged quite differently.

Yours appears to have had an even wear over it which has subtley taken off a lot of the top dye and left the original in the deeper areas all over, whereas mine's got a slight amount of that but wear is more pronounced on the edges and wear points with a number of "chips" in the dye where it came off completely. It started doing this from early on in life too and i've seen the same on others of the time. Mine's had the usual loads of wear, rained on, some HWT and even a little ST recently (Steam treatment- this is worth a try for the brave), have you ever done anything to your to accelerate the wearing off of the dye- sanding or alcohol?"

Your jacket is as old as mine Andrew, and I think they must be sisters (mine is a "She"). My jacket aged just like yours: I have made intensive use of it for the past two years, and the first thing it started to do is to create a number of chips on the dye at wear points. Once the jacket was properly broken in by wearing it I hot water treated her for a couple of times. Grain was showing but not as much as I wished, and at that time I was kind of disappointed with the way things were going. I thought it over and came to the conclusion that the aniline dye was to thick for my liking. As with your jacket, mine was almost like new in broad places with heavy wear in rub places. It did not convinced me at all. So next step was to rub some of the dye with alcohol. This really made the trick. Now rub wear is starting to form again in the usual places, but the contrast is not so pronounced as before with the thick aniline dye.

Enjoy your jacket Andrew, it is beautifully made an has a lot of potencial.

P.D.: Sanding is a NO-GO.

Andrew

Thanks PM, like you I'm really enjoying the way it's going and I know it's one jacket I'll never sell. The leather has a lot of the characterisitcs of the oldies, but I may also try out some type of alcohol- maybe a dousing of Finlandia...