• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More early photos from Muroc Bombing & Gunnery Range- 1930s

Weasel_Loader

I was able to get back to the history office here on Edwards AFB last week and found a few more photos. Hope you enjoy.

#1- Although not taken at Muroc, this one is one of my favorites. The backside of the photo had this written on it.

L-R Capt Victor A. Strahm, Capt R.C. Moffat, Lt. Ployer Peter Hill & Lt. Irvin A. Woodring, co pilot of the refueling plane of the question mark flight. Wright Field 1932.

People1930s40s0001-800.jpg

#2- Another favorite photo since I've never seen a period photo of those Buzz sweatshirts. I'd give anything for Buzz to remake this version.

People1940s0001-800.jpg

#3- There was nothing written on the back of this photo, but the guy on the right is definitly Ira Eaker. The guy on the right could pass for Ben Gazzara.

PeopleLate30s40s0001-800.jpg

#4- Nice B-10 photo with concrete bombs hanging. This had the following written on the backside.

Martin B-10 on Rogers Dry Lake 1935-6, 11th Bomb Squadron

PeopleLate30s40s0002-800.jpg

Some great photos. I really love these pre WW2 photos. The pilots look so old, but they're probably not as old as they look. ;)

dujardin

hello,

splendid photos, 10000 thanks.

can someone give details about the jacket and coverall

which coverall is worn on the 1st

on the 3rd, wich jacket wear the man on the right

last one, what type of shoes on the man on the left

many thanks

byeeeeeeee marcel

zoomer

Jake431 said:
What is the plane in photo number 1?
It's a Curtiss A-8 Shrike. This was a service-test version of the A-12, also called the Shrike.

Pete Hill, 2nd from r, was chief test pilot at Wright Field in 1935 and took the B-17 Model 299 prototype for its first Army flight. It crashed, killing him and a Boeing pilot in the right seat.

The sweatshirt photo is obviously wartime, as it says Army Air Forces. Muroc wasn't even an Air Base till 1942, altho flying had been going on there since 1933.

Now the question of the day:
What was the model number of the trousers that went with the B-2?
(Answer: A-2. Thanx to Mikey for answering.)

Great stuff Weasel. Real treasures...

Jake431

zoomer said:
Jake431 said:
It's a Curtiss A-8 Shrike. This was a service-test version of the A-12, also called the Shrike.

Pete Hill, 2nd from r, was chief test pilot at Wright Field in 1935 and took the B-17 Model 299 prototype for its first Army flight. It crashed, killing him and a Boeing pilot in the right seat.

Thanks! Kind of a neat, but ugly looking plane. Sort of Stuka-esque in some way (to me). I guess they are both fixed wing attack aircraft so that makes some sort of sense to me.

-Jake

zoomer

Marcel: the "coverall" in the 1st pic is not one, but a matched set of B-2 jacket and and unknown model trouser. The pocket flaps are identical on both jacket and trouser, suggesting the same maker.

Who made B-2s?
Buzz Rickson's does a repro labeled Werber, and Lost Worlds does one labeled Dubow.
But both have the same order number - AC-4665.
The pocket on the LW resembles the one in the 1932 pic. Rickson's is pleated.

hacker

zoomer said:
Jake431 said:

Pete Hill, 2nd from r, was chief test pilot at Wright Field in 1935 when he was killed in the crash of the first B-17.

The sweatshirt photo is obviously wartime, as it says Army Air Forces. Muroc wasn't even an Air Base till 1942, altho flying had been going on there since 1933.

Now the question of the day:
What was the model number of the trousers that went with the B-2?

Great stuff Hacker. Real treasures...

Well thank you my good man!.....BUT......I'm afraid I can't take credit on this one!...Great stuff though...

Hacker

MikeyB-17

Well-Suit Up! shows the B-11 flight suit as consisting of the B-2 jacket and A-2 trousers, and the diagram pretty much looks the same as those trousers in the pic.

zoomer said:
Marcel: the "coverall" in the 1st pic is not one, but a matched set of B-2 jacket and and unknown model trouser. The pocket flaps are identical on both jacket and trouser, suggesting the same maker.

Who made B-2s?
Buzz Rickson's does a repro labeled Werber, and Lost Worlds does one labeled Dubow.
But both have the same order number - AC-4665.
The pocket on the LW resembles the one in the 1932 pic. Rickson's is pleated.

W535 AC 4665 B-2 jacket / A-2 trousers........Werber Leather Coat., INC
W535 AC 5515 B-2 jacket / A-2 trousers........Switlik Parachute & Euipment Co.

From " FULL GEAR " by Aota Mituhiro

Surely the trousers in the first photo are either A-1's or A-2's, looking at the pic's in FULL GEAR.

BEVAN

zoomer

Thanks. I know Switlik made the B-1, in fact was the only contractor.

More about those flight suited gents - anyone serving then is notable because many ended up in high ranking posts later on.

Vic Strahm, at L, was a WW1 fighter ace and in 1932 was a test pilot at Wright Field. He was referee at the National Air Races for several years when they were held in Cleveland. He was CO of Barksdale Field, La., during WW2.
Page about Vic Strahm

Reuben Moffat, 2d from L, was another pursuit pilot and in 1932 was Chief of Research at Wright. He commanded fighter groups in WW2 and by 1944 was in charge of tactical planning for AAF Combat Command.

Irvin Woodring, at R, had been part of the Question Mark aerial refueling and endurance team. He died in January, 1933, in the crash of a P-30 two-place fighter he was testing. He rated an obit in Time magazine.

To give an idea of the typical prewar pilot's age and time in rank, Strahm re-entered the service in 1920 as 2Lt and it took him till 1928 to make captain. He was still a captain in 1934, aged 39. Woodring was 31 and a lieutenant at the time of his death.

Weasel_Loader

Great stuff Zoomer!!! You know, I can honestly say that prior to my going through these photos, I never had a whole lot of interest in Pre WW2 Air Corps, but now I find it really interesting. The planes, the people and the different ideas on how America should use airpower. :)

hacker

Weasel_Loader said:
Great stuff Zoomer!!! You know, I can honestly say that prior to my going through these photos, I never had a whole lot of interest in Pre WW2 Air Corps, but now I find it really interesting. The planes, the people and the different ideas on how America should use airpower. :)

You might try to pick up a copy of "Air Power" by Stephen Budiansky. It is an excellent book on just that subject (and others), and you can probably find it reasonably cheap through one of the on-line discount book sellers. I think you'll find it well worth reading!

Hacker