• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glasses you wear with your flight jackets

Flightengineer

With all due respect, don't you think you've wandered too far?
Pilots have (had) good eyesight (especially those who wore flight jackets during WW2).
Glasses that work with flight jackets = sunglusses.

mulceber

I dunno, seems like a reasonable topic to me. Pilots may not have worn glasses much, but some of us do. Discussing what styles compliment the jackets is perfectly reasonable. I’d suggest we keep this thread.

My glasses are made by a company called Silhouette. Not very vintage-styled, but they’re discreet and they go with everything.

My sunglasses are AO.

coolhandluke

I'd also vote for not deleting this topic. I'd be interested to see some feedback from those who wear prescription glasses and sunglasses. I've found myself needing prescription glasses for most day to day tasks, especially when driving, which requires prescription sunglasses. My current eyeglasses are Persol 3092-V and I think they pair fairly well with vintage attire.

My sunglasses are Ray Ban New Wayfarers (shown in link below). I've been thinking about finding something in an Aviator styled frame though. I need to see if my optometrists can add prescription lenses to a pair of AO's like Jan's.

Pa12

I'd also vote for not deleting this topic. I'd be interested to see some feedback from those who wear prescription glasses and sunglasses. I've found myself needing prescription glasses for most day to day tasks, especially when driving, which requires prescription sunglasses. My current eyeglasses are Persol 3092-V and I think they pair fairly well with vintage attire.

My sunglasses are Ray Ban New Wayfarers (shown in link below). I've been thinking about finding something in an Aviator styled frame though. I need to see if my optometrists can add prescription lenses to a pair of AO's like Jan's.

Shouldn’t be a problem getting a prescription in the American opticals. I’ve done them and many styles of raybans over the years. I mostly wear contacts but some days my eyes just aren’t into it so I wear specs. Most recent are rayban outdoorsman with a slight tint.

Pa12

I’ve seen many pictures of airforce personnel wearing clear AO prescription glasses. But I believe they changed it now allowing any eyewear they want.

Flightengineer

Do whatever you want. I still regret bringing it up at all.
Don't worry mate, I just expressed my opinion and that's all, I didn't want to seem impolite at all.
I haven't flown big birds for 2 years, I've had reading glasses for a year now, but to be honest I haven't tried to match them with my vintage flight jackets, these are modern very light titanium frames. It seems to me that if this is not WW2 reenactment, then there is no point in turning to frames from 80 years ago; modern ones are stronger and lighter. But this is all a matter of taste, and if you want to follow the style of the 40s and bring your style up to that era, there is nothing wrong with that, each of us has fun as best we can, do what you like, cause life is short.

MikeyB-17

Hell, we’ve done everything else, hats to wear with your flight jacket, sunglasses to wear with your flight jacket (that was mine), shirts to wear with your flight jacket, jeans to wear with your flight jacket, I think I attempted slippers and socks, why not glasses?

MikeyB-17

In fact, hey, I’m in. I’m very long-sighted, but up close I need reading glasses. I generally buy Goodlookers. With ELC A-2.
4A271F3D-E30B-4212-AE3B-17880A492A79.jpeg

And with ELC G-1. Try taking a selfie with glasses on so your iPad doesn’t reflect in the bloody things!
ADCED1E9-CE8A-4111-9E09-6C299A8931B3.jpeg

Last edited: