• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Met a hero today

Grant

Dick Miller was a navigator in B-29's in WWII and Korea, a pilot flying the F-86L during the Cold War and KC-135's in Vietnam. He happened to be wearing his L-2A painted by one of the gunners on his B-29 in Korea who happened to be an artist. If you ever get out to the March Field Museum in Riverside, CA he gives tours on the weekend. What a cool dude!

jacketfront-1.jpg

jacketback-2.jpg

hero.jpg

greyhound52

Wow Grant that is cool. I got a chance to meet a B-17 tail gunner at the muesum at Palm Springs. It is always a treat to meet these folks. He asked me alot questions about my A2 (BR RW model) he thought it was an original like he had in the day. I got to get down there sometime.

Andrew

Great stuff Grant, what a moment to enjoy. These guys are very special and from what they tell me they really appreciate the interest and respect us "young guys" have in them and their past. How lucky are we that for this moment they are available to talk to face to face.

cmk-2

Great meeting vets> We can learn alot from them. BTW what A-2 are you wearing and how old is it? The fit is perfect and color looks spot on.

Grant

Here's another couple photos taken at March Field. Sorry for the first photo being a little fuzzy but I had to shoot through a display case in low light. Looks like an all original 27752 in beautiful condition.

jacket.jpg

patch-1.jpg

TankBuster

Sweet 82nd Fighter Group Jacket! The 82nd flew P-38's out of Italy. This one is the 96th Squadron. Thanks for the pics.

Jason

Behind the weathered features of Mr Millers face, there's a pair of eyes that still sparkle with energy, enthusiasm and pride. The same look I saw when shaking hands with Rob Hoover for the first time.
Living legends, all of them, from the most decorated aircrew down to the ground mechanics and field engineers.

Thanks for the photos Grant... very cool indeed.

Willy McCoy

That is very cool Grant! I have met quite a few crew members/pilots and they always have the time to talk to someone that shows an interest. The old Naval Air Station in north Seattle (NAS Sand Point) has been turned into a sports meadow complex, wetlands, NOAH complex and dog park. I walk and swim my Jack Russell there everyday. We saw this older gentleman walking up the kite hill and got to talking with him. It turns out he was the commanding officer of NAS Sand Point. He told me when he was a squadron leader and flew the early jets. He is quite a character and super nice guy. I told him I have some WEP jackets that I would love to put on loan for a museum that he's trying to put together there.

veli1

Grant said:
Dick Miller was a navigator in B-29's in WWII and Korea, a pilot flying the F-86L during the Cold War and KC-135's in Vietnam. He happened to be wearing his L-2A painted by one of the gunners on his B-29 in Korea who happened to be an artist. If you ever get out to the March Field Museum in Riverside, CA he gives tours on the weekend. What a cool dude!

jacketfront-1.jpg

jacketback-2.jpg

hero.jpg

Hello gents,

does anyone know where and how can i get one of this beautiful "Indian" patch"?? It's for my B-15C jacket.

I might send money via paypal in anyone is interested? Pls PM

Thanks