• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making Sense of RAF Jacket Tags Are These Sister Jackets

I recently purchase an “Irvin” by Links with the following tag: Stores ref.22c/37, Contract 10422, Jacket, Height 5'8''/5'9'', Breast 36/38'',Waist 32/34''.
I also bought a Links from Andrew with a tag that reads: Stores ref.22c/328, Contract 10422, Jacket, Height 5'8''/5'9'', Breast 36/38'',Waist 32/34''.
Contract 10422 was for Links’ 1943 contract year. Are these sister jackets? Reference numbers 22c/37 and 22c/328. What do the /37 and /328 mean? Are those the individual jacket numbers? Or? Thanks for any thoughts.
Mark

Roughwear

This is a good question Mark. As you know all jackets which still retain their labels have the AM contract number printed (or sometimes typed) on them as does both Links jackets. From around 1942-3 labels have a Stores reference number which until sometime in 1944 I think was a standard reference according to the size of the jacket. The reference no. equated to the size of the jacket. Here's the list for jackets and trousers:

Jackets --- size --- Trousers --- size
22C/317 --- 1 --- 22C/325 --- 1
22C/318 --- 2 --- 22C/326 --- 2
22C/319 --- 3 --- 22C/327 --- 3
22C/320 --- 4 --- 22C/328 --- 4
22C/321 --- 5 --- 22C/329 --- 5
22C/322 --- 6 --- 22C/330 --- 6
22C/323 --- 7 --- 22C/331 --- 7
22C/324---- 8 --- 22C/332 --- 8

However some makers made mistakes and a high volume maker such as Links made some. The 22C/328 is actually the ref no for trousers not jackets, but by this time in the war they were not making many if any trousers. Instead they used stockpiles of trousers to maker multipanelled jackets! The /37 reference for the other jacket is not in either the jacket or trousers sequence of ref numbers, but was used at this time on many Coastal Command jackets which were made by Links, so it was perhaps an error or changes were made to the Stores ref system near the end of the War. Occasionally you find labels on non-Links jackets which are also unusual, such as 22A/847 on a late war size 4 Irvin. Just to add to the confusion some late War jackets just have a stores reference which does not follow the above sequence, but is in reality an AM contract number.

I hope this goes some way to answer your question Mark. I have extensive lists of AM contracts and Stores references and add to them from time to from original labels.

"The 22C/328 is actually the ref no for trousers not jackets, but by this time in the war they were not making many if any trousers. Instead they used stockpiles of trousers to maker multipanelled jackets!"

So at least, in this instance, they were consistent with the sizing when putting on the labels. The Links reference number 22c/328 was intended to go on a size 4 trousers, so they just put in on a size 4 jacket.

As to 22c/37 I'll re-check the label.

I too have a RAF coastal. The label has no arrow. In the upper left corner it has Size 4 and in the upper right corner is a diagram of a crown and underneath the crown are the intials A.M. Then a little less than 50% down is the word Jacket and below that
Height 5'8"/5'9"
Breast 36"/38"
Waist 32"/34"

Just above the work JACKET someone wrote their name on the label, thus obscuring a printed word(s). Along with a number. My imagination wants to think there is an ARE grouping of letters, but I could be bias and could be reading Wareings into the label.
(AM = Air Ministry)

Thanks for your help in getting the Kinks out of these Links labels. (I know, I know, but I couldn't help myself. Would let that pun go by????)
Mark