• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mae West, not the Lady but the floating type

Andrew

I finally picked up a B-4 Life Vest- actually being made on the 14 Nov 1944 it's designated AN6519-1. Just passed it's 66th birthday, but it looks almost like new. I doubt if it was ever used as intended.

I'm not sure why I wanted one of these as there's no way i'm going to wear it, it's just part of that inexplicable need to collect and inspect. I do however really think they look cool with an A-2 so if I get the guts and my Wife doesn't roll her eyes I might one day display it that way.

I bought this one for a good price from all places from a lady in Tasmania who collected boaty stuff, she thought it went well with her oars, nets and floats :shock: It's always amazed me how well these tend to sell, always fetching what I would consider high prices for a not terribly usable item. Anyone have any ideas about that?

One thing that occured to me when putting this on to shoot was how cumbersome it was getting it over your head and jacket collar. I'ts much easier done with a Dubow than a RW or in this case a Perry. Obviously they meant it to stay on hence the relatively small collar, but I wonder if the earlier B-3 had an any affect on the design of A-2 collars- naah. A B-10 or 15 would be even more tricky.

DSC_0736.jpg

DSC_0733.jpg

I've got a '32 and '41 patten RAF which i'll get around to posting as well.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
It's always amazed me how well these tend to sell, always fetching what I would consider high prices for a not terribly usable item. Anyone have any ideas about that?

They display well, so the demand's there, and I guess they have a low survival rate due to their unsuitability for house painting.

Good score ...

dujardin

good catch, she looks great

ohhhh Lt Andrew...you're not well shaved..... you get 4 days :lol: :lol: :lol:

marcel

Andrew

Haha Marcel, you know, its tough in the South Pacific, so why shave. Besides, it's Movember.
Tim, I imagine it would be nearly impossible with a B-3.
Dave, I'm sure you're right, but they were probably also used by Boaties after the war as life jackets. I think this is the reason i've never seen an RAAF '32 pattern vest for sale.

bombs away

Hello Andrew,

Very nice catch ! This one looks pretty neat.

These life jackets have been victims of the Band of Brother symptom. Thousand of guys, who woke up one day thinking it was cool to look like a 82nd or 101st AB parachutist, needed one immediately. At the beginning there were no repros of these life vest so they had to buy original ones. So the price has much increased, unfortunately for the USAAF collectors. :evil:
Everything related to the paras is very expensive since Band of Brothers.

And about wearing the B-4 life vest over a B-3 jacket, yes it's quite difficult. And don't forget the parachute harness !
But the B-3 jackets were mostly worn with B-3 life vests, much more supple, as both items are representatives of the first years of war. B-3 life vest were still used by some crewmen in 1945 pics. B-4 life vests arrived massively when the B-3 jacket gradually disappear.
A B-3 life vest in good condition is much more rarer (and of course much more expensive).

It's also interesting to see many US fighter pilots wearing RAF patt.41 life vest. Yes they are easier to put on, but take much more place in a narrow fighter's cockpit ! :shock:

I like the idea of these life vests being re-used by boaties after the war, you're surely right.

TIm

rich

Am I hurting you airman? I ******* well should be, I'm standing on your ******* beard! etc etc.
Good swag Andrew.