• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M65/vintage jackets and washing

Hi! Been into M65 jackets lately (originals). I love the style, and will try to collect them from different makers. I did recieve one today, made by Apparel corp of America. Dated 1968. The condition is near mint on this one! Was much better than expected. Im going to wear this one. So my question is:

Do you guys wash your vintage military jackets or clothing before you wear them? I dont mind if these vintage jackets have some wear or stains, it often makes them even better. But still, a jacket from 1968 is very old and it may feels better to wear it after a wash.. the interior at least. What do you do?

Attachments

• IMG_4123.jpeg
    IMG_4123.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4124.jpeg
    IMG_4124.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39

B-Man2

Wash it in cold water and air dry it .
Won’t shrink and won’t fade.
If you have the room you might also consider putting it in a garbage bag and sticking it in your freezer for about 5 days just as a precaution to kill any larva or eggs of any hitchhikers that might be on the vintage jacket .

Thanks. How long do you keep it in the machine? I washed mine on 30c yesterday for 90 minutes program. Is it better to have it in there shorter on 40c maybe? It is still air drying

Flightengineer

Thanks. How long do you keep it in the machine? I washed mine on 30c yesterday for 90 minutes program. Is it better to have it in there shorter on 40c maybe? It is still air drying
It depends on how dirty it is. I washed these jackets for 30 minutes and 60 and 90 minutes, there is no difference. M65 is made from NYCO, as you probably know, so usually the fade is minimal, and they don’t shrink either.
You need to be careful with field jackets made of pure cotton (M43 and M51) it washing can lead to shrinkage and fading with unsightly streaks and stains. But this usually does not threaten the M65.
One of my M65s (1969) had a very strong mothball smell and smelled like something else. I washed it 3 or 4 times in a at 60C and on a 1.5 hour cycle. It became clean and odorless, nothing bad happened to it, maybe it became a little lighter in tone. The contract M65 is designed like a tank. This is probably the most durable fabric jacket out there.

Dumpster D

I didn't wash mine ever. It was already on the 'salty' side when I got it at the old Sally Anne. I like it. Surprisingly as a vintage clothing freak/collector, I have yet to catch a staph infection or wind up with moth or bed bug infestation. :D ( Knock on wood)

You might just let it air out for awhile if it's already in pretty good shape. Maybe light hand wash if it really truly needs.

If it's new and has the new cloth sheen to the material, That'll fade and dull pretty fast after a single wash, at least anything I ever owned that was brand spanking new US surplus got dulled, softened up, and lost it's Sheen and faded slightly after the first wash. After that point it doesn't matter anymore of course.

Erwin

Just wash it, I cannot even imagine how some people can wear dirty stuff. It is only an ugly field jacket ;) nothing really special. Good to consider hand washing only, if the jacket has rare or fragile [worn] patches.
M65 is made from NYCO, as you probably know, so usually the fade is minimal, and they don’t shrink either.
This is disputable, not all jackets had the same fabric NYCO. You can spot a very visible difference in the 5-digit DSA contracts [a bit different weaving pattern than on contracts made from 1966]. On some contracts from the 80's, I'd not recommend machine washing at all, this would make shell fabric less smooth. A fade could be very visible as well, even after a few washes - up to used detergents, selected program, or how long hand wash was done.

While i have this thread, i might as well ask you.. Is this a correct label/tag on the 1966 contract? Was there no name of the maker on the tag this early?

Attachments

• IMG_4272.png
    IMG_4272.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4269.png
    IMG_4269.png
    2 MB · Views: 41

coolhandluke

When machine or handwashing surplus field jackets, I've had the best luck using Woolite Dark Defense detergent. It seems to have the least amount of impact to fabric and color loss. If you need to remove heavy soiling, there's better options out there.

If machine washing, use the cold temp setting and the lowest level of agitation (hand wash or delicate setting). Either hang dry or use the no heat setting if using a dryer.

As mentioned above, the M65's are much more resilient, so they don't need to be babied as much.

71pYbpJAxSL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Erwin

While i have this thread, i might as well ask you.. Is this a correct label/tag on the 1966 contract? Was there no name of the maker on the tag this early?
3 labels are correct for early production m65 jackets, from the initial one DSA1-8664 until DSA 100-4542 made by Freeland Shirt Co. From this one you will see 2 labels. No manufacturer's ID on the early production run labels. The first-time manufacturer's ID can be found on DSA-100-67-C-3526 made by Rolane Sportswear, but it is not an early production jacket ;)

Anyone has any knowledge about jungle shirts as well? Originals from Vietnam era. Just bought a 68 dated jungle shirt, and on the label it says «hand wash».. I can do that of course, but will it hurt putting it in the machine? Same as the M65, 30c? Or will that ruin it maybe?

Erwin

What kind of shirt is it? When this is an early one 100% cotton, I'd not recommend machine washing.