• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about M65 Field Pants.

eamenos

Hy guys,

I was looking for autumn/winter trousers mainly for hikings through the mountains, bushcrafting and hunting, so a tough and "hard to kill" trousers.

I have the opportunity to buy a NOS M65 Field Pants with its liner in a very very good price.

Is it true they are boombproof?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hy guys,

I was looking for autumn/winter trousers mainly for hikings through the mountains, bushcrafting and hunting, so a tough and "hard to kill" trousers.

I have the opportunity to buy a NOS M65 Field Pants with its liner in a very very good price.

Thank you very much.
Probably a number of other commercial types out there that would serve you better.
These are not waterproof and once wet take forever to dry . These were made years ago and there are much better commercial ones out there today for what you want to do with them.

eamenos

Probably a number of other commercial types out there that would serve you better.
These are not waterproof and once wet take forever to dry . These were made years ago and there are much better commercial ones out there today for what you want to do wi
These are not waterproof and once wet take forever to dry . These were made years ago and there are much better commercial ones out there today for what you want to do with th
th them.
The will be worn the most in hikings, avoiding to wet them, I know they are hard to dry. But in terms of strongness, how are they?

B-Man2

The will be worn the most in hikings, avoiding to wet them, I know they are hard to dry. But in terms of strongness, how are they?
Again ….there are better hi tech commercially made trouser out there today that will serve you better and are made from stronger material . The pants are double the thickness of regular fatigue pants and require a “wooby” type liner made from the same material as a poncho liner .
You could get the same strength and warmth out of wearing the liners under baggie jeans .
But I think you’re settled on these pants so buy them and see for yourself .

B-Man2

Found a photo of them for your review.
Currently on EBay at a $93.00 bid .
IMG_3438.png

physcult

Hy guys,

Thank you very much.
I have a few pairs of M65 and M51 . I don’t think I’d call them bombproof. M65 is probably a bit tougher than the earlier material and feels more synthetic. If you like the style buy them . It’s easy to get liners . M51 liners also fit https://ciehub.info/clothing/CW/M65/TrousersCWField.html

physcult

physcult

Shanghai-Mayne

M65 pants is Better than denim pants, and that’s all. Talking about windproof/rainproof/warmth, you can buy a pair of soft shell pants with much less money.

Erwin

For hiking like it was mentioned above a mountain-hiking trousers would be better, however a cargo pockets of m65's are really cool. I remember that these trousers were were strong for skateboarding. Just try to avoid using with the lining. In my opinion it is not a great or comfortable combination. Also, inny opinion avoid m51 pattern trousers, way less comfortable - even when made of 100% cotton. Only the late production contracts of M51 trousers are from NYCO like M51 field jackets. But these NYCO trousers are super rare, way rarer than NYCO M51 jackets!

physcult

For hiking like it was mentioned above a mountain-hiking trousers would be better, however a cargo pockets of m65's are really cool. I remember that these trousers were were strong for skateboarding. Just try to avoid using with the lining. In my opinion it is not a great or comfortable combination. Also, inny opinion avoid m51 pattern trousers, way less comfortable - even when made of 100% cotton. Only the late production contracts of M51 trousers are from NYCO like M51 field jackets. But these NYCO trousers are super rare, way rarer than NYCO M51 jackets!
M51 fade and age nicely , but that’s just an aesthetic. That could equally be a reason someone may dislike them. I think they feel nicer to wear with no liner in the summer than m65. They feel less synthetic . It sounds like you would be better with m65 for your purposes

physcult

M65 pants is Better than denim pants, and that’s all. Talking about windproof/rainproof/warmth, you can buy a pair of soft shell pants with much less money.
Without the liner they are ok in the uk for summer, better than most denims in the heat. That seems like the opposite reason to what the original post requires for hiking. They are quite a baggy fit and keep me cooler than denim

B-Man2

Without the liner they are ok in the uk for summer, better than most denims in the heat. That seems like the opposite reason to what the original post requires for hiking. They are quite a baggy fit and keep me cooler than denim
I think you’re spot on with the “quite baggie” comment.
They were made to be worn with liners and without them they look a little weird in my opinion. Also the combat boots that were worn with them let you blouse the pants over the boots . This let them look a little better, but wearing them with low cut hiking boots or
hiking shoes …. really makes them look oversized and big . Again just my opinion .

Last edited:

Erwin

They feel less synthetic . It sounds like you would be better with m65 for your purposes
True about fabric and fading, but M51 trousers have in general a different pattern - if I remember correctly you can call it a high waisted cut, M65 have lower one, except the NYCO this is the main difference. This was a main design difference after tests for T63-5 were approved. That's why better fabric and fading for M51 trousers, but it is not so comfortable feature, trousers have super high waste. Like trousers from 40's ;)

physcult

True about fabric and fading, but M51 trousers have in general a different pattern - if I remember correctly you can call it a high waisted cut, M65 have lower one, except the NYCO this is the main difference. This was a main design difference after tests for T63-5 were approved. That's why better fabric and fading for M51 trousers, but it is not so comfortable feature, trousers have super high waste. Like trousers from 40's ;)
The high rise is an aesthetic preference again . Vintage is a fashion and high rises make the trousers look more vintage , especially combined with a short jacket. I think it only looks good and feels comfortable on slimmer people . if I put weight on around the middle they don’t look so great

B-Man2

The high rise is an aesthetic preference again . Vintage is a fashion and high rises make the trousers look more vintage , especially combined with a short jacket. I think it only looks good and feels comfortable on slimmer people . if I put weight on around the middle they don’t look so great
If you’re a big guy or have some extra weight around the middle, these pants are only going to emphasize those issues .
But it’s your call .. whatever you choose.

physcult

Saying that , M65 are still quite a high rise to contemporary fits.If original issue trousers are used there is quite a variation in how they can hang . Small Long or Med Short can both fit , but give a totally different look..The bottoms can be laced up , or rolled up , long or short ( with boots , shoes , deck shoes or sandles) . All work in the city, but that’s a different situation to practical use in the field , or for hiking .

physcult

If you’re a big guy or have some extra weight around the middle, these pants are only going to emphasize those issues .
But it’s your call .. whatever you choose.
100% . You need to to have no excess weight around the middle for high rise trousers to look good

physcult

they have higher rises if you use the military issue suspenders designed for them . All the attachment points are universal on M51 / M65 for any period military suspenders from 50’s to 60’s