• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M422 thru 7823D knits color

Maverickson

Hi Mark,
I had a question related to the USN specifications regarding the type of hides to be used for the AN-J-3A? Notably you listed both earlier and later model specs. Specifically whether or not only brown goatskin is mentioned for the outer shell material.
Thanks, Dave

Last edited:

mulceber

Sometimes you just can’t reason with someone. I’m amazed that it’s taken all of these posts .
Agreed, and it really is a shame, because all of the odd purple and red knits speak to how hard U.S. industry was moving to try and fill the orders that were demanded of them. It's a much more interesting story than "the government said 'give us brown', so we gave them brown.'" :rolleyes:

Skyhawk

The relationship between brown and purple is a close one and sometimes dye turns out a little different than intended. Even the mill I use today has a shade of brown that has a purple hue to it. They just call it brown. It just happens to be the perfect shade for 1950's dull purple Rib Racks!
The point is though, they didn't set out to make a purple brown knits. It's just another shade of brown to them. They have many shades of brown.

John Luder

Three observations: Signing in is like shooting at a moving target. The black 'log in' button moves toward 4 o'clock. Being half blind, I always miss the first shot.
Second: how do I save a thread, like this one? I saw some specific Five Star comments, but couldn't figure out how to save, and now I can't find them. Getting older is a real pain in the arse, but I recommend it to the alternative.
Third: There's a reason that saying "Different Manufacturers" is a valid and simple explanation of variations between, and even within, manufacturers.
I have some observations on my new Five Star B-10, but I want to 'share' them with Shawn first.
As Johnny said to the dame in Angels With Even Filthier Souls, "Merry Christmas, ya filt'y animal. And a Happy New Year"
And here's Shawn's Christmas offer. Too bad I don't buy off-the-peg stuff anymore.
Screen Shot 2023-12-22 at 10.47.33 AM.png

Maverickson

Hi Mark,
I had a question related to the USN specifications regarding the type of hides to be used for the AN-J-3A? Notably you listed both earlier and later model specs. Specifically whether or not only brown goatskin is mentioned for the outer shell material.
Thanks, Dave
Mark,
Found that you had in fact already included some of the specifications for the AN-J-3A.
More specifically regarding the type of hides to be used for the outer shell and as see below.
20231216_141204~5.jpg

Before seeing your provided specifications I thought that perhaps the USN had left more leeway in the type of hide that was acceptable for their AN-J-3A jackets. Especially since knowing that the W&G 35805 AN-J-3A (the same contract where red knits were utilized) was constructed using horsehide.
HH AN-J-3A .jpg

It is my understanding in the book FULL GEAR that this particular contract was mentioned as having horsehide as its outer shell material.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Skyhawk

That's not the AN-J-3a Specs, that is the 55J14 Specs which is superseding the AN-J-Specs. That means changes were made to the AN-J-3a and the designation was changed due to the changes. You can't be sure that the specified hide type is the same for both jackets. That is part of the reason why I purchased all the specs from Mark. Important changes from spec to spec. It's an interesting line of evolution with these jackets.

Maverickson

Hi J,
My mistake! Since you purchased all specs from Mark how about providing that AN-J-3A outer shell info for clarification? My guess is that only goat skin was in fact specified.

I would like to know whether or not the USN deviated from that goat hide specification or was horse hide also included as seen in the W&G 35805 AN-J-3A.
Thanks, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

By chance I came up with the USN AN-J-3A specifications. To include the required outer shell (goatskin) material as seen highlighted below.

17054350358931634454794644749250~3.jpg

As I surmised much like the required color of the brown knits, only goatskin was specified to have been used for the AN-J-A's outer shell. No room for error period.

All the.more difficult to explain away W&G's 35805 horse hide AN-J-3A red knit anomaly.

W&G 35905.jpg

HH AN-J-3A .jpg

Cheers, Dave

Last edited: