• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M422-A: ELC or Aero?

wop54

ELC & Aero M422-A: which one has got the edge? Cheers, Carlo. P.S. Hope this has not been discussed yet!

johnwayne

Faced with the same decison I got an Aero that I admit was good deal at the time (about 4 years ago) which swung it in their favour but only now is the leather really starting to break in and soften. Compared to Eastmans I've seen they do seem to be a 'softer' leather and it has to be said a lighter more russet brown!! Also, Eastman's collar shape does look more like the originals - Aero's are more G1'ish ie less pointed by comparison and it seems they do tend to treat M422's more like early G1's. My M422a also has a 'true' pen slot' in the pocket that (correct me if I'm wrong you bigger affecianados than me?) was only on G1's, whereas M422a's had just a stitched in portion of the pocket! Aero's main concession to the difference being just the correct shaped pocket flaps. I would say therefore that Eastman's are a more faithful reproduction.

'Lost Worlds' incidentally only make a G1 and are quite flippant about the variations!!

Having said all that, it depends how seriously close to an original you wish to be or maybe your preference as to colour but my jacket is nevertheless, a beautiful thing!!!

One last thing - do remember that these jackets are meant to be close fitting, try one for size if possible definately not to be worn with chunky sweaters!!!!!

bseal

While you are at it, wouldn't hurt to shoot an email over to Paddy at Real McCoys NZ. Often she has older stock offered at sale prices.

wop54

bseal said:
While you are at it, wouldn't hurt to shoot an email over to Paddy at Real McCoys NZ. Often she has older stock offered at sale prices.
Thanks! I will follow your suggestion for one of the next jackets: i've already placed an order for the ELC. Honestly i've been thinking for awhile...and decided that i'll have the B3 aero redskin for xmas (wife's compulsory present! Hoping that the personal economy won't get any worse. Cheers, Carlo