• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422A versus A-2

bazelot

There seems to be an ample supply of A-2s on Ebay but absolutely zero M-422As. I have always wondered why that might be. The ratio has always been in favor of the A-2 but lately I have seen a huge drop in the number of M-422as/AN6552s on Ebay.
The weird thing is that A-2s tend to fetch a much higher price even though the jacket is far inferior to the Navy jackets.

hacker

bazelot said:
The weird thing is that A-2s tend to fetch a much higher price even though the jacket is far inferior to the Navy jackets.

Just like most things in life.......it's about image over substance

Hacker

Peter Graham

hacker said:
bazelot said:

Just like most things in life.......it's about image over substance
Agree 100%. Navy jackets all the way !

Roughwear

Peter naval jackets are far better quality than A2s, but for me its A2s all the way! They are so iconic and stylish. We don't know the size of the naval flight jacket contracts, but I suspect fewer were produced than A2s which may partly account for fewer coming up for sale.

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:
for me its A2s all the way! They are so iconic and stylish.
As Hacker says "Image over substance". I agree with your statment in part. A-2's are iconic but unless they are a particularly good fit, they are far from stylish. Anyway, I'm not gonna start an argument. Each to their own. Actually, I'm glad Navy jackets are not as popular as A-2's. It makes them affordable.

hacker

Peter Graham said:
Roughwear said:
for me its A2s all the way! They are so iconic and stylish.
As Hacker says "Image over substance". I agree with your statment in part. A-2's are iconic but unless they are a particularly good fit, they are far from stylish. Anyway, I'm not gonna start an argument. Each to their own. Actually, I'm glad Navy jackets are not as popular as A-2's. It makes them affordable.

Hey...don't drag me in to the no win debate! :oops: ...I think the A-2 is about the coolest looking jacket, but in order for them to look right, they just aren't that comfortable. Just the way it is, and for me that's a big issue. I would venture to guess that way back when, if flight crews would have been given the choice as to what to wear in the a/c, they'd chosen the M422a. I also think that while the A-2 leather collar looks slick, when the wind is whippin' at you, that fur feels awfully nice!

Hacker

watchmanjimg

The nice thing about this kind of debate is that we're not limited to one or the other. We can enjoy A-2s alongside Navy jackets and figure it out as we go. In my opinion the Navy jackets are a lot more functional and easy to wear, but there's no substitute for a well-fitting A-2 once you find one. Also, for those of us living in warm climates it's nearly impossible to wear a jacket with a fur collar. At least I can wear an A-2 a couple of times a year here in Florida. :D

CBI

If you are into jacket art as I am - the A-2 has the edge however - I like both

MikeyB-17

I love the A-2, it was the jacket that got me into this game in the first place, but having owned one for over ten years, and recently bought a repro M-422a, I've come to appreciate the Navy style a lot more. One of my biggest gripes with the A-2 was its length, or lack of it, meaning that anything worn under it has to be tucked into the trousers, not a look I've ever been comfortable with (not with my physique). The 422a, with its slightly longer torso, can be worn in a more casual fashion which I, scruffbag that I am, am happier with. I don't, on the other hand, always want that fur collar-some of the G-1's I've owned have had pretty rough mouton, which gets a bit uncomfortable after a while (not a problem with my RMNZ). And before anyone suggests an AN-J-3, for some reason they don't do it for me-the Navy shape needs the mouton in my eyes. The Navy jacket's inside pocket is another distinct advantage.

zoomer

The thing is that nobody gives a good goddam about WW2 Naval Aviation unless it happened in the Pacific, where they didn't need any M-422s.

Stony

I have a simple answer to this question.

Wear the A-2 to get laid and the M-422A to keep warm. ;)

bazelot

zoomer said:
The thing is that nobody gives a good goddam about WW2 Naval Aviation unless it happened in the Pacific, where they didn't need any M-422s.

Actually they did use it a lot the closer they got to Japan. If you read "Flyboys" the author mentions that the pilots downed next to Chi Chi Jima either wore the M-422A or the shearling version. I talked to a Marine pilot and he told me that when they flew high altitude even in the tropics they wore their leather jackets because it's "pretty cold up there".

What I am rather surprised about is the scarcity of the M-422As for sale these days. I haven't seen one on Ebay for a while. I am sure they are out there (15 of them in my closet :)) but they seem to be harder and harder to find.

Stony

What I am rather surprised about is the scarcity of the M-422As for sale these days. I haven't seen one on Ebay for a while. I am sure they are out there (15 of them in my closet ) but they seem to be harder and harder to find.

That's why there's none for sale, you have them all, lol.

Atticus

Stony said:
I have a simple answer to this question.

Wear the A-2 to get laid and the M-422A to keep warm. ;)

Damn. There's my problem. I've been doing it ass-backwards.

AF

Maverickson

bazelot said:
zoomer said:

Actually they did use it a lot the closer they got to Japan. If you read "Flyboys" the author mentions that the pilots downed next to Chi Chi Jima either wore the M-422A or the shearling version. I talked to a Marine pilot and he told me that when they flew high altitude even in the tropics they wore their leather jackets because it's "pretty cold up there".

What I am rather surprised about is the scarcity of the M-422As for sale these days. I haven't seen one on Ebay for a while. I am sure they are out there (15 of them in my closet :)) but they seem to be harder and harder to find.

Yes Tom, I just finished reading "Flyboys" and as a matter of fact the author did mention that some of those pilots lost at Chichi Jima and made prisoners of war were in fact wearing flight jackets. In addition, this would have occured at the about the same time that George Bush Senior was shot down and made a lucky escape after making a bombing run on that same Island.

As stated, those same USN aviators and prisoners of the Japanese held Island Chichi Jima were relieved of their white scarves and leather and fur lined style flight jackets as they were in fact items of interested to some of the superior officers. Thereafter, these same flyers after giving up there jackets were executed and had their livers " kimo " served up Sukiyaki style at the request of the commanding officer a General Tachibana of the base to enjoy as it was believed that eating internal organs such as this "good medicine" and " You have to eat this kind of meat to become a become a strong fighter."

This action actually happened simultaneously with the battle of Iwo Jima, This took place during the winter months and as explained higher up in the latitudes and therefore down right cold. One must be reminded that the Pacific Theater was the largest battlefield of that war. Most wrongly assume that leather flight jackets were not worn in the Pacific. However, a good portion of the War was initially waged in the Tropics but all of Japan exists well above the Tropic of Cancer. So all manner of flight jackets would have been utilized the closer the war came to the Japanese homeland.

I would like to add that one of my buddies Father was the individual who captured this same infamous Japanese Army General Tachinana from Chichi Jima. A one time United States Marine, Master Sargent Al Waddington who once lived here in my hometown but passed away a good twenty years ago. Al now resides at Quantico Marine Corps Base following his interment and his son is now in possession of that same liver eating General's sword. I might add that this was a near ancient family samurai sword that was just slightly shorter than those types generally found and very intricately inlayed. By the way, liver eating General Tachibana was one of several Japanese that were later convicted of War Crimes after the War and sent to the gallows on Guam.