• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422: What Hat?

SteveN

Greetings All,

I've been struggling with the question of what hat to wear with an M-422. With an A2 it's easy, as pretty much any fedora or felt hat goes well. The mouton collar of the M-422 however throws a spanner in the works. Excluding something like a baseball cap, what's the general consensus for appropriate headgear with this jacket?

Cheers,
- SteveN

Jaydee

Got to be a NAVY Squadron or Carrier Ballcap (Or flight helmet if you are one of the lucky ones) Eagle is a good company for a genuine issue type. They are a low profile cap, not the lame tall big head looking kind.

Definitely agree. Navy Ballcap. I wear a plain blue wool cap made by (the former) Cooperstown Ballcap Co. I don't know if anyone else makes an accurate, custom, vintage cap.

Falcon_52

I would go with an 8-panel newsboy cap. It's more casual than a felt hat but still looks very smart.

Noel

Mac

a+humphrey+bogart+tokyo+joe+10614.jpg

zoomer

I'm gonna step in here and say that a wide, dark banded hat like Bogey's is dressy, and not appropriate with the '422/G-1 family. The issue is the fur collar. It makes the jacket more purely "gear" than, say, an A-2, Indy, etc.

Bogey could get away with it because of his presence, and because the hat and jacket were both kinda beat up.

You could swing a hat with a thin-ribbon or a self-colored ribbon, I think. Especially in tans or browns. Pic

The blue wool ballcap is WW2-correct - if you care about that - as long as it's real Navy Blue (almost black), and has no big front panel with ship name etc. They were plain, or worn with metal rank.