• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-1951 Fishtail Parka...advice needed

ties70

Something strange did happen earlier this week:

My wife did take a look at one my Real McCoy's FunBooks and came up with "I want this one!"....it was RMJP's M1951 Parka shell!

She will definitely not get that one, as 600 Euros for a reproduction seems to be a lot, especially if there are originals around...Nevertheless, if she wants a military jacket, I will definitely not miss this opportunity.

Being not familiar with this style of jacket, I would like to get some things straight, especially re. the differences between the M-51 and the M-65.

Do I get it right that...

...the M-51 is cotton sateen, while the M-65 is a cotton-nylon-mix....

...the M-51 has a fixed hood, while the basic M-65 has none...

...the M-51 hood can be lined with an additional fur-trimmed hood liner, while the M-65 has an attacheable fur-trimmed hood...

...the M-51 features an attachable jacket liner of white mohair, while the M-65 has a padded nylon liner?

Does anyone know what a small or x-small M-51 in very good condition would cost?

Best regards

Ties

watchmanjimg

Ties, prices on these can vary quite a bit but on places like Ebay I imagine the smaller sizes can be found cheaper. If you like I can keep an eye out for a smaller sized example. They turn up around here every once in awhile.

asiamiles

Fishtail parkas were "in fashion" this time last year. You couldn't turn around without seeing one. This year, almost none to be seen...so there should be plenty around on the secondary market. Anyone buying a parka though should be aware that they'll probably be considered an "old mod!" :lol: Personally I think they can look pretty good on girls while on lads the mod association is a bit too strong and they don't look so great anyway.

ties70

asiamiles said:
Fishtail parkas were "in fashion" this time last year. You couldn't turn around without seeing one. This year, almost none to be seen...so there should be plenty around on the secondary market. Anyone buying a parka though should be aware that they'll probably be considered an "old mod!" :lol: Personally I think they can look pretty good on girls while on lads the mod association is a bit too strong and they don't look so great anyway.

My wife has a 30 year old Vespa scooter....so at least the "mod" picture fits ;)

dujardin

hello Ties,

try a search on ebay US or Australia - military - korean war.
for sure you will found one at really good price.

pitty that i gave the one i had to my nephew (he used her when he was into belgian scouts).
i promis nothing, i will ask him if he still have my jacket and if i get it back; i will send her to you.

but i reapeat.... i promis nothing

marcel

asiamiles

ties70 said:
My wife has a 30 year old Vespa scooter....so at least the "mod" picture fits ;)
And at least partly explains her attraction to the parka! I agree with Marcel, the B-9 is much nicer, but maybe not so suitable for her?

kevlarg

The Parka boy character in Pattern Recognition, they talk about the mod/scooter thing. Sounds like these have their own brand of rabid collectors so you might some stiff competition. Good luck!