• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LW Foster G-1

delta102uk

I recently got this LW Foster G-1 Amend#2, I know this question has probably already been asked and answered....but what is the significance of Amend#2??

007-7.jpg

013-3.jpg

020-3.jpg

022.jpg

Cheers
Sean K

dadgad

whoa!
this is just A-MA-ZING!

Amend#2 is a sort of rather rare transitional variation of the MIL-J-7823 pattern whereas it still retains the stenciled white U.S.N. on the back of the collar like 55J14 but not yet the perforated U.S.N. on the inner storm flap and also is the very first contract from L.W. Foster with rounded pocket flaps.
Amend #2 Foster are usually a little bit longer than other J-7823.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I assume that amendments were minor changes to the specs, not significant enough to require a suffix to the spec. number, and not usually recorded on the label.

John also notes on his CD, that the Amendment #2 contract is the first L.W. Foster contract to have the rounded pocket flap design, earlier contracts all used their WW11 pattern.

delta102uk

dadgad said:
whoa!
this is just A-MA-ZING!

Amend#2 is a sort of rather rare transitional variation of the MIL-J-7823 pattern whereas it still retains the stenciled white U.S.N. on the back of the collar like 55J14 but not yet the perforated U.S.N. on the inner storm flap and also is the very first contract from L.W. Foster with rounded pocket flaps.
Amend #2 Foster are usually a little bit longer than other J-7823.

.....Thanks for the info!, doesn't feel any longer in the body length, in fact it's quite a bit shorter than the 50's Monarch and Pritzker 55j14 I have......I really like the dark seal goatskin which is nearley as thick and heavy as the Monarch!..

026-3.jpg

Sean K

dadgad

Can't wait the right weather for mine to put it on, is still too warm here for the G-1 although we are under a thunderstorm right now! :)

jack aranda

Holy sweet hopping mad horned toads! That is...'off the hook' as a much younger group of lads might say. :cool: What did you do? Find a time capsule in an old naval air station? Well done! Now, when you get bored to tears with it, and cannot bear the sight of it any longer, why, you drop me a line, and I will be glad to alleviate the terminal ennui of having that jacket around the house. ;)

delta102uk

jack aranda said:
Holy sweet hopping mad horned toads! That is...'off the hook' as a much younger group of lads might say. :cool: What did you do? Find a time capsule in an old naval air station? Well done! Now, when you get bored to tears with it, and cannot bear the sight of it any longer, why, you drop me a line, and I will be glad to alleviate the terminal ennui of having that jacket around the house. ;)

.....yeah I intend to keep this one....but from experience never say never.... :) ....

Sean K

rotagz

The Foster Amend. #2 is another one of my favorite contracts. Always great goat. USN stencil, while some have both stencil and punch. Usually the blondest collars found are #2s, and yours is no exception. The great Foster fit, which I have never found to be long, if anything the opposite. I also think sizing was standardized with the Amend. #2 as from the #2 on I wear a 42, but with some earlier jackets I can wear a 40, depending on maker. At any rate, beautiful jacket and nearly impossible to upgrade.

dadgad

rotagz said:
The Foster Amend. #2 is another one of my favorite contracts. Always great goat. USN stencil, while some have both stencil and punch. Usually the blondest collars found are #2s, and yours is no exception. The great Foster fit, which I have never found to be long, if anything the opposite. I also think sizing was standardized with the Amend. #2 as from the #2 on I wear a 42, but with some earlier jackets I can wear a 40, depending on maker. At any rate, beautiful jacket and nearly impossible to upgrade.

I have compared my Amend#2 with a Ralph Edwards 7823B and an Irvin B. Foster 7823C (that are almost the same lenght from pit to end of waistband) and it is a dead half inch longer.
All the three jackets are 42.

Measurements may vary anyway, not a problem.

delta102uk

deeb7 said:
I assume that amendments were minor changes to the specs, not significant enough to require a suffix to the spec. number, and not usually recorded on the label.

John also notes on his CD, that the Amendment #2 contract is the first L.W. Foster contract to have the rounded pocket flap design, earlier contracts all used their WW11 pattern.

.....begs the question why the scalloped pocket flaps were ditched in favour of the rounded pocket flap design?....any particular reason?.....

Grant

That's a kick ass G-1! The light color mouton reminds me of some Edmund Church M-422a's I've seen.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
delta102uk said:
.....begs the question why the scalloped pocket flaps were ditched in favour of the rounded pocket flap design?....any particular reason?.....

I imagine the three point flap was starting to look dated in the 1950's, and that the simple design was a more contemporary look.

delta102uk

Grant said:
That's a kick ass G-1! The light color mouton reminds me of some Edmund Church M-422a's I've seen.

I agree!.....the jacket has the nicest honey coloured mouton i've seen on all the Navy jackets i've owned past and present. I sold this Ed Church a few years back it too had really nice mouton although quite a bit darker...

Picture2311.jpg

Picture2326.jpg

Sean K

Grant

At some point I'll have to get a photo of my Church. The mouton is almost identical to your Foster.