• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost flight jacket season

usafwso

The fall started off pretty well here (Las Vegas, Nevada) with somewhat cooler than normal weather. Now, much warmer than usual for the first day of December. So warm and sunny that I got a bit of sunburn laying about by the pool today wearing shorts, tee shirt and a pair of Teva's.

I know people move to the desert southwest just for this type of weather; but if you are a flight jacket enthusiast like me, 70 degree and cloudless skies simply don't work.

Typically winter here ends with the trees budding out in early February. So, you can see my point. Very few potential flight jacket wearing days coupled with my flying schedule in my PLEATHER fake A-2 uniform jacket means a lost winter.

No body looks good standing next to a G-5 in a cheap looking pleather flight jacket.

Atticus

Seems like we've got the opposite situation in North Carolina. I won't go so far as to say this is the coldest autumn on record, but last month was one of the coldest Novembers that I can remember. I know that what I about to say will make some here cringe (Van, Clark, Hacker, Chris, Bill), but I'm actually hoping that this year will bring us some serious snow. It sure appears to be shaping up that way

AF

zoomer

usafwso said:
The fall started off pretty well here (Las Vegas, Nevada) with somewhat cooler than normal weather. Now, much warmer than usual for the first day of December. So warm and sunny that I got a bit of sunburn laying about by the pool today wearing shorts, tee shirt and a pair of Teva's.

I know people move to the desert southwest just for this type of weather; but if you are a flight jacket enthusiast like me, 70 degree and cloudless skies simply don't work.

Perhaps you might expand your horizons a bit. Those cotton Navy jackets from the 30s and 40s are pretty danged handsome.

Stony

We are also having an unusually mild fall here in the NW. It was 59 degrees yesterday on the first day of December. Been wearing my original M-422a and vintage soccer coat, but nothing really warm needed yet.

Weasel_Loader

Yep!!! I should have started burning wood in my wood stove after Thanksgiving. It's nowhere near cold enough for that. The mornings and mid 30s but warm up to high 60s. :roll:

bw-8

You guys should move to Minnesota! My bigggest gripe is that Light Zone season ended on Halloween. I'm already into the B-15C (MOD) and I've got an RAF Eastman on the way! :ugeek:

usafwso

I took the top off the car today and wore one of my L-2B jackets. It was nice for a change. .

mcqueen

Perfect leather jacket weather in the Great Basin -- highs in the upper 40s/lower 50s, lows around 30. It will, however, soon be N-3B weather.

bw-8

mcqueen said:
Perfect leather jacket weather in the Great Basin -- highs in the upper 40s/lower 50s, lows around 30. It will, however, soon be N-3B weather.

4 degrees with minus 10 wind chill here tonight! ;)

mcqueen

It snowed this weekend and will continue to snow for the next week. I broke out the N-3B and snapped some photos during a break.
n2bfront.JPG

Sage green
n2bcollar.JPG

Coyote fur
n2bpatch.JPG

USAF
n2bpocket.JPG

Crown zip and the gray/green money shot

Atticus

The weather in North Carolina is flip-flopping like a whore at a motorcycle rally. Last Monday, the temp was nineteen when I went to work. Exactly forty-eight hours later, it was sixty-five. It stayed warm (afternoon highs in the seventies) until Friday when the temp dropped forty-something degrees back into the mid-twenties overnight. Saturday never got out of the forties and the wind blew like crazy. Today is calm and the high is predicted to be in the mid-seventies---again.

The good news is that all of my jackets are seeing playing time. On any given day, I might start off sporting my A-1 and end the day bundled up in my B-15C!

AF

greyhound52

AF,
Have also been watching the temps in NC with great interest since I go to Ft. Bragg for two weeks in January. Really don't know how to pack at this point? More important what jacket or jackets do I bring? Thinking about my A2 and a CWU-45 with my goretex GI parka.