• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little help

flattop

Hey Folks,
Looking for a little help with the ID on this one. I'm thinking Sears/Oakbrook/Hercules ??? It caught my eye on Ebay. Something about it made me want it. Not even sure it will fit but now I am trying to ID it while I wait for the post man.
l_b031e3975f794bc683d0cb9cc64f0533.jpg

l_355a5cb562a744ad9a70e7d2f22dab88.jpg

l_801382a4de9c4c31b39e5d486789b199.jpg

l_46a243df41fc41d1b12b70965df6f46d.jpg

Thanks,
AJ

Hi Flattop,

I believe it is a Montgomery Word in the early 50`s. the sears model has the studs in the back spaced out more to the bottom.I hope this helps.

flattop

GWF- Thanks! I am inclined to agree with you at this point (that or maybe Penny’s). I am having some trouble finding more images to compare this to other than in Rin Tanaka's book but I would say it matches those more closely then anything else I have seen.

The Jacket was delivered this morning. I have not been able to find anything that defines the manufacturer but I can list some more of the details of the jacket as I have noticed them. The remains of the MFG tag appear to be yellow or golden’ish and stitched in with red thread.
All the zippers appear to be original. The main and sleeves are Talon and the pocket zips are not marked. The main is brass and the sleeves appear to be nickel plated brass as some of the plating is wearing off on the ends. The zipper pulls on the pockets are round and present. The pockets close up. No inner pockets. The outer pockets are canvas lined.

The epaulets show very clearly that they had two stars on each originally. There are three snaps on the inside of the collar for the mouton collar (missing). The leather although worn has a shiny finish. I associate that with Steer Hide (please feel free to correct me).

The coat just fits (tad short) for a vintage. The coat has all kinds of character as was listed in the auction. The leather is in dire need of conditioning and the lining needs cleaning but all in all I like it. Just looking to be able to ID it a little more definitively.

flattop

GWF- WOW! That sure does look like it. Wish the pictures were larger so I could see the tag but that looks like a match. The only difference I can see is that one has one star on the epaulets and mine clearly had two. I wonder did this signify the difference between the cowhide/steer hide/horsehide models?

Something else I noticed in the first Ebay link the Mikey posted the jackets sleeve zipper pulls are stamped NYNCO. The pulls look identical on my jacket but are stamped Talon.

Thanks again!
AJ

flattop

I found another 2 star Ward/Winward on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0328009322

The main Zipper, tag (compared to the remnent) and the color of the stiching on the leather is different than mine. So far the closest match is the first one Mickey found and that seller states "Could be an old Daniel Boone/Penny's". I gonna have a beer and keep diggin. :D