• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather Guide

TankBuster

Great info. Thanks for posting. I haven't used Pecards for some time now.
I have been closely monitoring the humidity levels in my jacket room
keeping it between 35 and 55%. It's much harder work, but in the long run,
it's the best way to preserve original jacket leather.

bazelot

I found the link when I was researching the effect of humidity on leather. I am tyrying to control humidity for my jackets but it is extremely hard in my small place.
Glad to see see that you find it useful.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bazelot said:
I am tyrying to control humidity for my jackets but it is extremely hard in my small place.

It should be easier in a small place ... I keep mine in one room, and the dehumidifier stands guard.

Keeping the windows closed in that room makes it easy for him to do his job.

TankBuster

Here in MN it's a tough battle. The dehumidifier works great in the
spring, summer, and fall. The winter however becomes very dry
here, so keeping humidity levels above 10% is a struggle :!:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
TankBuster said:
... so keeping humidity levels above 10% is a struggle :!:

Oh, I see ... that didn't occur to me. :)

Right now it's at 59% in the jacket room, and I don't recall any less than 40%, at any time of year.

bazelot

At my place it varies according to the shower cycle from 50% to 62%. I don't know if i need a dehumidifier or not.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bazelot said:
I don't know if i need a dehumidifier or not.

I set mine to cut in at 60%, so you are probably fine ....

Without one here it can get to 80% - 90%.

bazelot

deeb7 said:
bazelot said:

It hardly ever rains in San Francisco so we are lucky on that side. I will kep monitoring the temperature and try to keep it within the same range. I wonder how my jackets would fare in an earthquake though :?

jack aranda

I monitor the meteoroligical conditions here in SF on a daily basis. Much of the American West is in the middle of a 9-year drought, but, even so, here in the Big Shire the humidity level is usually high--between 50 and 95% thanks to surrounding ocean and bay. When the fog horns be booming, the humidity be zooming, so to speak. :)

Andrew

deeb7 said:
bazelot said:

Same here except it usually starts at 60 and it's all up from there.

Dave is this anything like the one you have? This is the cheapest I found with the auto-on dial after a quick look around on the net but rather expensive nonetheless...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
Dave is this anything like the one you have? This is the cheapest I found with the auto-on dial after a quick look around on the net but rather expensive nonetheless...

What ??

I looked for the largest capacity Mitsubishi Oasis that they made, then bought it online with an opened carton, at about half retail.

And it's great, much faster, and quieter than the De Longhi that it replaced.