• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LATE WAR IRVIN IN EXCEPTIONAL CONDITION

Roughwear

Finding a late War Irvin in extremely good condition is very hard these days, so when this one came up for sale some weeks back I jumped at it. Everything is original apart from the main zip, which was a 1950s replacement with black tape, so I replaced it with the correct Lightning. There is no wear to the fleece at the hem or ends of the cuffs, just a little wear at the top of the windflap. The jacket is a size 5 and fits me well. It is exceptionally well made, with straight seams and not the mix of different types of skin as seen on many jackets from 1943 onwards. I believe it to be made by Irvin Air Chute, judging by the high quality workmanship, the square collar and standard size belt loops. The collar rings are the large variety which were used by both Wareings and DGL, but IAC also used them on some of their late war jackets. The sleeve zips are marked with the usual Am and king's crown, with a plain N on the other side. I'm not sure who made the zips, perhaps someone can help here?

009-26.jpg

010-24.jpg

025-8.jpg

012-24.jpg

013-27.jpg

015-25.jpg

016-19.jpg

022-14.jpg

018-21.jpg

021-12.jpg

027-9.jpg

Hawkeye

Another excellent score Andrew. I can't really help you with the zips, though I can tell you the same ones were on a late-war jacket I had a couple years back. I'm not sure if the marking on the front is supposed to be an "N" or a "Z".

Roughwear

Peter Graham said:
Andrew, remember the late war Irvin you sold to me ? It was a really nice one. Didn't have a label though.

Peter, I remember it well. It was a great jacket, just too small for me.

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:
Peter Graham said:
Andrew, remember the late war Irvin you sold to me ? It was a really nice one. Didn't have a label though.

Peter, I remember it well. It was a great jacket, just too small for me.
Slightly too tight in the shoulders for me too, which is why it went down the road.

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:
So does this mean you no longer own an Irvin at all Peter? I believe you have moved over to cloth?
Indeed, I am now a man of the cloth ! I also sold the nice pre war Irvin I had so I'm currently Irvinless. Both my jackets were size 3, just too neat, even for me. I reckon a size 4 would be perfect. I'm sure I'll pick one up sometime.

Roughwear

Peter Graham said:
Roughwear said:
So does this mean you no longer own an Irvin at all Peter? I believe you have moved over to cloth?
Indeed, I am now a man of the cloth ! I also sold the nice pre war Irvin I had so I'm currently Irvinless. Both my jackets were size 3, just too neat, even for me. I reckon a size 4 would be perfect. I'm sure I'll pick one up sometime.

Size 4 Irvins are fairly common and I'm sure you will buy the right one for you in due course. I'll let you know if I come across any in this size, Peter.