• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.W Foster Spec. 55J14 G-1 - Headwind Reproduction

Skyhawk

I am starting this thread to follow the progress of one of our new projects, The Foster 55J14 Reproduction.
Here is a shot of the donor jacket. I have cleaned half of the jacket, can you guess which side? No conditioning yet but this shows the diamond hidden under the soil on this jacket.
IMG_20210509_112514030_HDR.jpg

Not sure yet on if I will restore this one or not but it will be perfect for making the pattern.

Skyhawk

For this reproduction I have sourced the correct Conmar zipper. They were the unique Blackened Bell shaped puller on a silver aluminum zipper chain. I was able to have them custom made using NOS pullers on a reproduction zipper chain. There are other makers of this reproduction but none of them besides Good Wear has been able to source the correct zipper.
IMG_20210426_180100042.jpg

IMG_20210426_145122790.jpg

IMG_20210426_145234306.jpg

Last edited:

Micawber

When is @London Cabbie going to get his jacket Jay @Skyhawk ?

Last edited:

Smithy

When is @London Cabbie going to get his jacket Jay @Skyhawk ?

Not looking good Steve considering Jay took Cabbie's money and hasn't delivered anything after 2 years.

And to anybody reading this you would have to be a first class, certified halfwit to order anything from Headwind now. You're better off stuffing the money for the price of a Headwind jacket in a cannon and firing it off as at least that way you'll get some enjoyment of losing it with a big bang. If you give it to Jay, it seems to just disappear without trace.

B-Man2

I agree … it’s sad all the way around for all parties . Jay made some significant contributions to this forum over the years . I was one of his most ardent supporters at one time . I owned a couple of his jackets . But those times have changed with no explanations given . If there’s one good thing about the people on this forum, it’s that they are good people who are understanding , tolerant and forgiving . No one is perfect, we have all made mistakes and shit the bed at some point in our lives. I’m sure that tolerance and understanding would be extended to Jay if he simply offered an explanation and delivered a jacket or made restitution to the people who paid him .

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Howdy guys, the Foster Repro plans are progressing. It has been on the back burner as we got caught up on orders. I have procured some exciting parts recently.
These are my new Dull Purple knits custom made to match the Foster:
Fos-Knit-PhotoRoom.png-PhotoRoom.png

Also I have located the correct twill weave Rayon liner. Truly amazing. An exact match in weave and color. It is slightly lighter then the usual Purple Brown liner seen in other late 40's early 50's G-1. Note that it matches the slightly darker color on the right side that was protected from the elements.
IMG_20221228_102050386.jpg

These new parts in addition to the blackened Conmar Puller on the silver chain, with matching cotton zipper tape, is going to make a mighty fine reproduction.

Skyhawk

This project has been on hold but will be coming along in the new year 2024. The lining material is something special. I have not seen another maker match it as closely as this material does. Foster used this lighter color purple brown Rayon with a heavy twill in some jackets, other originals seem to have the more standard dark purple brown.

Skyhawk

Were are progressing on the project. I just got a final proof from the label maker. We went all the way on this one and had them made on a 1940's Shuttle Loom. I am happy with the results:
img20240201_14505992.jpg

Here's a combo shot Repro vs Real Original:
Repro-Original.jpg

Attachments

• Rfci_Oe-.jpg
    Rfci_Oe-.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts