• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2B Project/Help with age identification (Update: Complete)

dav3469

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I discovered the site via FL, where I am also a newer member. I have been interested in Flight Jackets and gear for years. The vintage jackets I own are all nylon at the moment. I am hoping someone can shed some light of approximate date of manufacture for my L-2B project I am working on.

My best friend and I found this particular jacket 20'something years ago at a surplus store as I recall. He purchased it and took it home, as we believed it to be a 60's or earlier jacket. Since that time, in looking at other jackets, and information such as here on the forums, I think it may be earlier than 1960. It had been well used. No open tears, but some stains, and fray marks in various places. But we thought it gave it character. The knits were very loose, and barely there.

Shortly after getting it home my buddies mom, not knowing better, threw it in the wash without telling him. When it came out the knits were toast. He kept the jacket, hoping to find some repro or NOS knits. Years went by with nothing being done.

Eventually we did a swap for some item I cannot remember. I made one attempt to get the jacket repaired, but the seamstress I went with sat on it for a year, and only started on one cuff, then lost the rest of the repro knits....

Anyway, I just purchased a set of repro knits from Vintage Productions (MASH kit) and hope to have it repaired in the next couple weeks. Here are some pictures.

Is there a way to determine year of manufacture? Thanks for any ideas.

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

[img
IMG_1193.jpg
[/img]

[img
IMG_1191.jpg
[/img]

Atticus

Re: L-2B Project/Help with age identification

Your jacket is a B-series Rolen. I had one just like it but sold it to another forum member. I think it dates from about 1955.

I've often wondered how many vintage nylon jackets have been damaged or destroyed by well-meaning wives and mothers and their washing machines. At my house, even the cat knows not to stand still for too long lest his furry ass be thrown into the wash.

wisconsin127.jpg

wisconsin112.jpg

AF

dav3469

Thanks for the information! As I recall my buddy was not happy, but his mom meant well. Same is true around my house about the wash.

Tim P

Atticus said:
Your jacket is a B-series Rolen. I had one just like it but sold it to another forum member. I think it dates from about 1955.

I've often wondered how many vintage nylon jackets have been damaged or destroyed by well-meaning wives and mothers and their washing machines. At my house, even the cat knows not to stand still for too long lest his furry ass be thrown into the wash.

wisconsin127.jpg

wisconsin112.jpg

AF

what patch is that?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

dav3469 said:
Is there a way to determine year of manufacture? Thanks for any ideas.

Full Gear lists the contract date as fiscal year 1957.

dav3469

greyhound52 said:
Get it fixed it is a great jacket.

Absolutely! The package from Vintage Productions was waiting with the mail when I got home today.. Off to the seamstress on Monday.

dav3469

Here is the completed Jacket. I am very pleased with the work the seamstress did. She was very apprehensive, and it took alot of work to make it right after the aborted attempt the previous seamstress had tried for me several years ago. I took in a non vintage L-2B I have as a pattern as well as a book with pictures. She was nervous about opening up the seams. Due to the wash as described in the first post, and the previous fix it attempt (in which the person claiming to know what she was doing trimmed all remaining pieces off the jacket) the seamstress was worried, as usually the remains of cuffs and collars and such make good patterns and give assembly pointers.

Of course the first question she and the shop owner asked was why I was repairing such a jacket, as it wouldn't be a $20.00 job. When I explained that it was an antique so to speak and from the mid to late 50's, she was a bit more nervous.

The repair parts are the L-2B, MA-1 MASH repair kit via Vintage Productions. The knits do look pretty dark as compared to the faded 50's era jacket, but I am just glad to have this classic back in good repair!

Let me know if you think she did a good job or not. This is my first time getting any sort of jacket restored.

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

rich

I'm no expert as I've shown several times now - but I think your jacket looks fantastic and your seamstress has done a great job. I'd be really pleased, I hope you are too. It's got to be worth doing IMO.

dav3469

rich said:
I'm no expert as I've shown several times now - but I think your jacket looks fantastic and your seamstress has done a great job. I'd be really pleased, I hope you are too. It's got to be worth doing IMO.

Thanks for the kind words. I thought it looked really good as well. I have no idea what the jacket is worth to a collector, but I know what it is worth to me. When I dropped it off I knew it would not be a "Cheap" $20.00 or $40.00 job. My wife knew the vintage of the jacket, and what it meant to me to get it fixed. So when she picked it up for me yesterday, the price was $100.00. I was prepared to spend that to have it done right. She told me the shop owner was very nervous and apologetic. He seemed to be ready to detail the time spent of cuffs, collar, and waistband as justification. My wife put him at ease and told him I knew it was not a typical job in this day and age. Of course we use this dry cleaner/tailor constantly, so I was not worried about getting screwed.

Although I do not plan to ever sell it, I figure the jacket is worth at least that much as a collectible. It is to me at least to have saved this 50's era jacket.

watchmanjimg

The jacket looks good. Your tailor appears to have done a nice job, although I can't understand all the apprehension. This type of repair would have been very common on and around military bases back in the day, and shouldn't be a big deal now. However, the important thing is that the jacket is now in great shape and ready to enjoy. Congrats!

dav3469

watchmanjimg said:
The jacket looks good. Your tailor appears to have done a nice job, although I can't understand all the apprehension. This type of repair would have been very common on and around military bases back in the day, and shouldn't be a big deal now. However, the important thing is that the jacket is now in great shape and ready to enjoy. Congrats!

Thanks. You know, I think the apprehension was because I bet she had never done a flight jacket (or any kind of military gear) before. Given the area, I would surmise the closest she had been to uniforms is patches on police and fire uniforms. I guess she has one under her belt now however!

Peter Graham

Great repair job and a lovely jacket. In my opinion early L-2B's are one of the coolest jackets around. I hope you get a lot of wear out of it.

Weasel_Loader

The jacket looks great!!!

There are quite a few of us here that have been down this road before and at least from my experience, you paid about what I paid for a full knit install. It's pretty labor intensive and takes time. Wished I knew someone that could teach me how to do and I'd give it a go myself. :roll:

greyhound52

I agree great job now you have a fantastic jacket. My seamstress gets worried about doing my jackets but does a fantastic job. So if you have found one that can do great work you have found someone you want to have do future work.

Members online

Latest posts