• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2B Mint

A

Anonymous

I've just received a beautiful Skyline Clothing L-2b dated 1960, with perfect decal and looking like it came out of a time capsule. Just one very small stain and a couple of millimetre sized holes in the knits. Has Colonel's rank in plastic on the shoulders and the plastic wings sleeve with the pilot's leather wings name tag in it. The guy was called Ed Fels and I have some of his personal history (he fought in WW2, Korea and Vietnam). I'm awaiting more info soon. The jacket is stunning and I got it for less than half the price of a Buzz Rickson ! :)

I've taken a few pics to put on here (along with other items such as ELC A-10 gloves, BR B-15C, ELC B-10 and a BR deck jacket, Red Wing GT boots). Trouble is I now can't find me download cable for the digi camera :oops:
Watch this space and others.
Bugger !
J_H

A

Anonymous

1960 Skyline L-2B Mint photos

Here you go nylon fans.
She's a beauty !!
07.jpg

04.jpg

06.jpg

05.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

Dave

Peter Graham

Very, very nice. Did you get it off ebay ? I've got my heart set on one of those so if anyone sees a small one for sale please let me know. ;)

Peter Graham

Hi usafwo, pardon my ignorance, I'm still near the bottom of my nylon learning curve but is that an L-2A ? I thought they were made in blue only. Stunning jacket.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
.... is that an L-2A ? I thought they were made in blue only.

Version I, of 5 versions ... Alpha eliminated the clip tab in the last (1960) contract. Version 2 (Skyline, 11 Aug. 1960) introduced the orange lining.

Peter, you might find that a Medium is okay for you, originals can be quite short.

Weasel_Loader

Dave,

That's a super nice L-2B!!! Ones in that condition are few and far between. Thanks for posting the photos. ;)

A

Anonymous

Glad you all liked the photos. I'm chuffed to bits to have won the jacket on Greedbay. Here's the blurb I have so far from the seller:
"Dave, I looked through my old Boy Scout stuff I have here at the house and did not find my notes on Ed's career as an air force officer. I am going to visit my mother in two weeks and will look for them there. Here is what I remember about Ed and how I acquired his air force flight jacket. Ed and his wife Kitty were my neighbors across the street growing up in Albuquerque, NM. I knew that Ed was a retired colonel in the air force from my father, but did not know much more until I interviewed him for my Citizenship in the Nation Merit Badge. It was then that I learned Ed flew combat aircraft in three wars. Beginning with WWII, Ed flew P-51 Mustangs. I can't remember what type of aircraft he flew in the Korean War. He flew the F-4 Phantom in the Vietnam War. I was very impressed that I had a fighter pilot and war hero for a neighbor. Also the F-4 was, and still is, one of my favorite aircraft. Ed had a framing of his medals on the wall in his home. I remember there were several medals in it. I cannot confirm without my notes but I believe he was the recipient of the purple heart, distinguished flying cross, a bronze (or silver star) and foreign war service medals. I know that he was stationed overseas in Europe but I don't remember the countries (most likely Germany).Ed had the look of an old soldier. He and his wife had many nice things from Europe. They were the nicest neighbors and always took an interest in the activities of my youth. Ed had the face of an old soldier. His face was tanned and wrinkled to a sort of hardness and his hair was always cut short. I remember he raised turtles, enjoyed his swimming pool in the back yard and would take his enormous town car old to the store. Ed died before Kitty. I would still go over to visit her even after I married and had children. When Kitty died 4 years ago, her only son, Eds step son came to clean out the house. He rented a roll off dumpster and went to work. My 73 year old mother and other neighbors would go out each night with a ladder and check the contents of the dumpster for stuff that was still good. This is how I acquired Ed's flight jacket and coveralls. My mother still wonders what might have happened to Ed's medals and dress uniform. I hope that his step son who is also in the air force as a finance officer kept them. I am still in awe that Ed's jacket still had the government issue pen, a pencil and book of matches in the pocket. It is like he just took them off one day and never touched them again. I am grateful that you wish to continue Ed's legacy by adding his flight jacket and history to your collection. I will be in touch after my visit to my mother's. Take Care,"

So, if anyone can tell me where to start looking for Ed Fels bio' in the meantime, please do !
Cheers all,
Dave

Peter Graham

deeb7 said:
Peter, you might find that a Medium is okay for you, originals can be quite short.
Dave, unfortunately so am I but thanks for the info. I'll ask for measurements if I find one.

A

Anonymous

USAFWSO, I love the photos you have posted at various times kitted out in period flight kit.
Any chance I could persuade you to start a thread where these are all posted ? It would be a great resource !

Dave

usafwso

I have not really posted too many of my pix these days as I prefer to fly under the radar. Perhaps one of these days, I'll have a few more on offer.

watchmanjimg

With all this talk I feel another bout of nylon fever coming on! Here's my 1960 Skyline L-2B D-spec. Not 100% mint, but damn close. This one came with Col. Adams' helmet bag, K-2B flightsuit, and 3 scarves. I especially like the early large SAC patch. Enjoy!

SkylineDL-2B001.jpg
SkylineDL-2B002.jpg
SkylineDL-2B003.jpg