• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Korean War Era USN Squadron Patch

Maverickson

I recently came across a very unusual squadron patch that I almost passed up. It is like no other USN squadron patch that I have ever seen. Because the patch is so unique and in light of the squadron's war time history I thought that it was worthy of posting this VC-4 Nightcappers patch for those that might be interested.

NightcappersAG-8-1.jpg
vc-4-1.jpg

As it goes the squadron flew F4U-5N or the night fighter version of the F4U Corsair. The VC-4 dets made 3 Korean War cruises on Leyte 1950-51, Bonnie Dick 1952-53 and Lake Champlain in 1953. The Nightcappers were the last squadron to use the F4U Corsair as an operational aircraft after retiring them in 1955.

I found a similar Corsair as seen with the same radar dome attached to the starboard wing tip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iHxj--4lIU which would have been characteristic of the Nightcappers night fighter. I intend on looking deeper into the success of the squadron's night time Korean War era activities. So far I am aware that the squadron may have actually produced at least one night fighter ace during the conflict.

As seen, although the following Nightcappers patch is an artists rendition so far I have come up with two versions of the patch. The one seen above is the early or true Korean War version.

vc-4-2.jpg

Andrew

Cool,

Mav you ought to get a hold of a book i'm reading called "Crimson Sky- the Air battle in Korea", by John Bruning. It has a section on when the Leyte first joined in the battle and descibes engagements by Corsairs of VF-32. Pretty good read.

Maverickson

I have stumbled upon yet another version of this same VC-4 squadron patch. In addition, I have discovered the translation of the latin phrase " we get ours at night".

NightCapers-1.jpg

Stony

I have stumbled upon yet another version of this same VC-4 squadron patch. In addition, I have discovered the translation of the latin phrase " we get ours at night".

Sounds like a lot of "ladies of the night" could be wearing that patch on what little clothing they wear.

:p