• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KOREAN WAR C.H. MASLAND & SONS TYPE N-2A FLYING JACKET

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents

This time a quick time trip to the Korean War, the example shown here is the second model of the N-2 series, TYPE N-2A made C.H. MASLAND & SONS.

Adopted in the early 1950s, as the name on the label says, “Flying-Jacket-Heavy Attached Hood”, it has a large hood for the cold weather. When worn on the plane, this hood could be hung on the back, there is a zipper which effectively divides the hood, allowing the parachute harness to fit easily and the helmet to be worn without restricting movement.

This heavy-zone flight jacket was mainly worn by the crew of bombers and reconnaissance planes, designed for the freezing temperatures of the Korean winter.

The condition of this example is amazing considering it’s almost 70 years old, the blue shell is intact and no UV fading, which is very rare. The genuine wolf fur is mint, the knit cuffs and waistband look unworn with a couple tiny moth holes here and there, not even visible when in use.

Left shoulder depicts a color printed U.S. AIR FORCE logo in great shape retaining its original colors.

As a side note, the N-2 series are one of my favorite flight jackets, very well designed against the worst climates, although not much use in Florida.

That being said, enjoy the pics!

Regards,
Jorge
09D126F4-D4E1-4AC9-955C-0E275B85423E.jpeg
06227265-571D-48AB-998C-9682FE157096.jpeg
365E62EB-204D-4174-8BDB-E4C139C599B1.jpeg
76FA8AAA-0F05-43E8-B197-7963F1114788.jpeg
E3BF60D5-A1A0-45F9-9F48-801C960AB051.jpeg
2F92BFC8-03B3-4438-8317-0819F5E1A2D4.jpeg

Lmaoborghini

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I was just curious about the difference between the L-2 jackets and N-2 jackets. I've seen both names around but can't find much of anything comparing them, and naturally each seem to have a handful of variations that make research harder.

Silver Surfer

though not vintage, my n-2a alpo jackets are my go to winter jackets. inexpensive, itoasty, and no hassle wearers. t doesn't seem like a big deal, but the alpo jackets are appx 1"-1 1/2" longer in the body, so the beach just below the belt line.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I was just curious about the difference between the L-2 jackets and N-2 jackets. I've seen both names around but can't find much of anything comparing them, and naturally each seem to have a handful of variations that make research harder.
They were intended for different climates. The L-2's were made for light zone climates and the N-2's for heavy zone climates. Pics of both are posted to compare purposes.
Also, here are links for both with more detailed info about each model.

L-2A
DSC09355.jpeg
DSC09357.jpeg
DSC09359.jpeg

N-2A
IMG_0171.jpeg
IMG_0177.jpeg
IMG_0180.jpeg

Dany McDonald

Wow wonderful L-2A there Jorge, condition is amazing!

About the wolf trim in your original post on your nice N-2A, I believe it was rather called synthetic 'badger'... Just saying.

Dany