• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just to Share a Personal Thought...

wop54

Hi Everyone! I take that some of you guys wear your flight jackets everyday: when i was young (yeah right, i mean when i was younger..) i dreamt of a good job well paid. Then i dreamt of a very good job better paid (struggling for a bit of career, more responsibilities, a bit of success) Now? I dream of a job that allows me to wear a leather jacket, sneakers and a pair of jeans everyday, all the day long.. (but still even better paid :lol: ). Where does this flight jacket passion have its roots? I think that in my case it embodies my needs of freedom and juicy irrationality. What do you think? Cheers, Carlo

veli1

wop54 said:
Hi Everyone! I take that some of you guys wear your flight jackets everyday: when i was young (yeah right, i mean when i was younger..) i dreamt of a good job well paid. Then i dreamt of a very good job better paid (struggling for a bit of career, more responsibilities, a bit of success) Now? I dream of a job that allows me to wear a leather jacket, sneakers and a pair or jeans everyday, all the day long.. (but still even better paid :lol: ). Where does this flight jacket passion have its roots? Perhaps it embodies our needs of freedom and juicy irrationality? What do you think? Cheers, Carlo

Hello Carlo,

well, when I was a little boy (I'm 31 now) i saw a black&white old movie "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" and what can I say...started watching it and was hooked immediately...

jacketimp

wop54 said:
Hi Everyone! I take that some of you guys wear your flight jackets everyday: when i was young (yeah right, i mean when i was younger..) i dreamt of a good job well paid. Then i dreamt of a very good job better paid (struggling for a bit of career, more responsibilities, a bit of success) Now? I dream of a job that allows me to wear a leather jacket, sneakers and a pair of jeans everyday, all the day long.. (but still even better paid :lol: ). Where does this flight jacket passion have its roots? I think that in my case it embodies my needs of freedom and juicy irrationality. What do you think? Cheers, Carlo

the jacket goddess popped me cherry :eek:

wop54

jacketimp said:
wop54 said:

the jacket goddess popped me cherry :eek:
I like it! :D

watchmanjimg

My hometown was near a SAC base where my grandfather worked as a civilian, so I was exposed to flight jackets from an early age. It was very cold in the winter up there, so outerwear was a necessity. I also lived through the latter part of the punk era in the 1980s and military jackets of every style were hugely popular, along with motorcycle jackets. I spent 3 years in the Army stationed in Colorado and raided every surplus store and Goodwill I could find in search of more jackets. Thus, I've had a great deal of experience wearing various leather, military, and flight jackets and loved every minute of it. It's kind of a shame that I live in Florida now and it's rarely cold enough to wear a jacket, but that hasn't slowed me down one bit. Besides, I still travel to cooler climates on vacation so the only problem is picking out which jackets to take along. :lol:

jack aranda

I grew up 'blue collar'--refinery workers, linemen, bartenders, boxers, cowboys, these were the men in my hometown, and my dad's friends. The only suits were on Saturday night, and weddings and funerals. Then, in films men like Raft, and Bogart, and a hundred others wore leather jackets. They've always represented men of action, guys who do stuff. As an oil refinery worker, I wore an old knock-off A-2 to work, ruined that sucker in the refineries. As a geologist, I wore rough-out clothes in the field, always a leather jacket in the closet. I feel dressed in a leather jacket; I guess I collect because there are a hundred ways to dress, right?

wop54

veli1 said:
wop54 said:
Hi Everyone! I take that some of you guys wear your flight jackets everyday: when i was young (yeah right, i mean when i was younger..) i dreamt of a good job well paid. Then i dreamt of a very good job better paid (struggling for a bit of career, more responsibilities, a bit of success) Now? I dream of a job that allows me to wear a leather jacket, sneakers and a pair or jeans everyday, all the day long.. (but still even better paid :lol: ). Where does this flight jacket passion have its roots? Perhaps it embodies our needs of freedom and juicy irrationality? What do you think? Cheers, Carlo

Hello Carlo,

well, when I was a little boy (I'm 31 now) i saw a black&white old movie "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" and what can I say...started watching it and was hooked immediately...
Hi my friend! i've never heard or that movie, it was about the Dolittle Raiders, i guess? Ciao Carlo

zoomer

I have always been in love with old airplanes. Cars, music, clothes, technology too. There is just something about an era when there was still a romance to technology. It was not just a beige plastic tool to do work and paperwork and fill a role, it was breaking the chains of space-time and enchanting everyone's imagination. Flight was - how shall I say it - much more down to earth yet much more exciting.

There's also the understanding that I and others like me owe a great debt to the generation of brave young citizen airmen who did a job we would rather no one ever had to do, and did it with spirit and style. The style, at least, is still very relevant today.

For me - all that makes the mystique.

wop54 said:
Clyde from Carolina said:
Hi Carlo,

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo is indeed about the Doolittle Raiders. Great movie( and a very good book, too); here it is on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Thirty-Seconds-To ... 734&sr=8-1
Hello Clyde, thanks for the info! I bet that you have seen the movie Pearl Harbour, apart the love story, was it historically and "technically" accurate? Cheers, Carlo

Hi Carlo,

I honestly don't remember much from Pearl Harbor...the love story was a bit distracting to me and I just couldn't get into that one.

The book Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo is really excellent though, and was written by one of the pilots on the mission.

By the way, Zoomer's explanation of his fascination with the jackets is remarkably close to mine. My favorite radio station on XM is the Seriusly Sinatra...

I also grew up a military brat and was around Marines, soldiers, sailors, and airmen from a young age. That and a real interest in history, especially the WWII period, naturally led me into jackets after I got my first A-2.