• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Julian Cope's Irvin...

havocpaul

Julian Cope of Teardrop Explodes used to wear an original Irvin jacket on stage in 1980/81 at the time of their 'Reward' single....plenty of good shots on You Tube: this one is from BBC TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FggELQN ... re=related

over to our experts to name the maker!! Other Irvins in the music biz? Ultravox' Midge Ure owned one he bought from Kensington Market; Richard Branson 'borrowed' one for the launch of Virgin Atlantic from the same shop (I sold it to them the year before!); Pretenders wore their manager's Irvin; McCartney wears an Irvin-style jacket on the cover of his solo album (has his baby under the collar)...I'm sure there's been more.

MikeyB-17

Yeah, I remember that-he must have been dying under the studio lights in an Irvin. Thumbs up from another bass playing lead singer! Mine are black/black/maple too-although mine are Precisions, not Jazzes!

Roughwear

Wow! He must have been somewhat warm on stage in that Irvin! As to maker it is hard to be sure, possibly a two panel early war Irvin Air Chute jacket.

Atticus

To stray a bit from Euro Rock and Roll:

I've always been a big fan of the sixties and seventies SoCal sound. I was really into Manassas for the short time that they existed---even managed to catch them in concert at NCSU's Hill Auditorium in '71 or '72.

The cover of their first album looks like an advertisment for a Army/Navy store. Dallas Taylor wears a 101st Airborne M-65, Joe Lala wears a peacoat and Mr. Stephen wears what looks to be a B-6 or a D-1.

stills.jpg

AF

Doug C

Don't I remember correctly that Bono used to wear an Irvin way back during the Unforgetable Fire days, maybe slightly earlier or later... maybe during the Pride (in the name of love) video? :?: , actually didn't look to bad with the HUGE mullet :p
-Doug C

havocpaul

I was trying to remember if Bozo wore one but thought it might have been a copy...can't bring myself to search through U2 stuff on YouTube!

Peter Graham

havocpaul said:
can't bring myself to search through U2 stuff on YouTube!
Don't blame you. Can't remember him ever wearing an Irvin. I saw them in Belfast way back when they were a punk band. They actually used to be pretty good.

Doug C

I definately remember him wearing one at a fairly early point in their career...and btw, I don't mind admitting to still being a fan of U2 but I've noticed that it's kind of uncool to do so in recent years, now that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with everything bono says - I don't, but when I compare the music they're still putting out with alot of what everyone else is today - I can't fault them much.

Doug C

havocpaul

They're one of the biggest bands around for sure but it's Bono's insistance on being with every politician and every latest good cause that wears a little thin for me. I am a massive Springsteen fan and Bono is one of his best mates as is Sting and I don't like either of their music at all. Like Peter I saw them early on (at their first ever UK/London gig in a pub) and I wasn't all that impressed and haven't seen them live since. At that time I championed Stiff Little Fingers as a great Irish punk band not U2 or Boomtown Rats. Maybe I will try and find a pic of his Irvin as that is what it's all about!

Doug C

Have always loved Springsteen too!!! I've been really diggin on Greetings from Asbury Park lately, got 'Lost in the Flood' on the brain actually. Anyway, here's a picture of the jacket I'm talking about that Bono used to wear... this is a terrible picture of it though, he's had it on in a video or two but finding a good shot is near impossible because he's gotta be the most photographed individual in the history of the world.

Doug C

havocpaul

Looks like the predecessor to Aviation Leathercraft Irvin, they used to be advertised in Exchange and Mart and aviation mags and had a retail outlet through a bike store in the Old Kent Road in late 1970's and early '80's. As many hear know cos I have bored them silly, Springsteen is my one true weakness and has seen me through two marriages, bringing up two daughters, physical and mental tribulations, there always seems to be a song that fits the mood and nothing I know beats being stage front at a Bruce concert, here's to another tour this summer in his 60th year...Bono has a long way to go to catch up for sure. Only thing as a collector of vintage leather jackets he needs some help in the shearling stakes....not a good repro he wore recently....ALSO check out Stephen Stills in a genuine G-1 with bruce and Neil Young...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/havocpaul/?saved=1

Peter Graham

havocpaul said:
At that time I championed Stiff Little Fingers as a great Irish punk band not U2 or Boomtown Rats.
Yep, you're right Paul. SLF are one of my all time favourite bands and a great live experience. I must have seen them a dozen times. They are still gigging but I haven't been to see them since the late 80's when the classic line up broke up. They are playing in Belfast next month and I'm tempted but I think I'd be disappointed. I'm more into going to see new bands these days. There's an underground punk blues scene going on over here that I'd rather spend my time and money on.

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Yep, you're right Paul. SLF are one of my all time favourite bands and a great live experience. I must have seen them a dozen times. They are still gigging but I haven't been to see them since the late 80's when the classic line up broke up. They are playing in Belfast next month and I'm tempted but I think I'd be disappointed. I'm more into going to see new bands these days. There's an underground punk blues scene going on over here that I'd rather spend my time and money on.

Good on ya, Peter! I saw U2 when they played at W'ton Poly and even accompanied a friend to see them the next day at Coventry Poly. They weren't very good and I couldn't understand what the appeal was. Saw SLF one time at a small local club; liked 'em, though I never bought more than the first couple of singles at the time...oddly I not long ago purchased the Japanese CD of their first album and feel it's stood the test of time rather well. Saw the Undertones at the same place...another great band from across the water!

MikeyB-17

SLF-first gig I ever went to! Somebody I know went to see them a while ago and said they were excellent-might be worth a look Peter.

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
Julian Cope of Teardrop Explodes used to wear an original Irvin jacket on stage in 1980/81 at the time of their 'Reward' single....
If you read Cope's autobiographies which are now available paired together in a single volume - and frankly if you've any interest in that period of music, you really should, as they're as just about the most entertaining books I've ever read - he mentions the flying suit and who gave it to him.