• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Japanese Jacket shopping

I'm off toTokyo soon and thought I might pick up a Buzz N3-B, wondering if the shops there do trade ins ?

Anyone have experience of shopping in Tokyo ? are there any secondhand shops ?

Tim P

good choice, I don't know anything about Second hand or trade-in shops in Japan but I think that it would be good to bring back a bulky jacket like that rather than ship it. do you mean an N3 or an N3b? My choice would be for the former.... ;)

dadgad

johnny english said:
I'm off toTokyo soon and thought I might pick up a Buzz N3-B, wondering if the shops there do trade ins ?

Been there four times in the last five years, Ueno and Harajuku are the places to go for Jackets and thrift shops although the latter are also scattered everywhere between Shinjuku-Shibuya-Harajuku.

Another great place to go out from the usual loop is Shimokitazawa (Odakyu, Inokashira lines), I strongly suggest you to head there if you have a spare afternoon to spend (shops open mainly after 11.30 AM).
You wouldn't believe to be in Tokyo yet once there...

Directions for Ueno area:

Take the JR Yamanote line, Ueno stop and search for "Ameyayokocho" district.
The street where most of the shops are placed is the parallele left to the one I posted.

ueno.jpg

asiamiles

johnny english said:

There are lots of second-hand shops in Tokyo, though the term used there is "vintage" :D

The already mentioned area of Shimokitazawa has the main concentration of them and you'd want a whole day to browse the area...on both sides of the stations. If you have the time, set aside a day. There are lots of other cool shops there, and more "live houses" than anywhere else in Tokyo, so if you've had enough of shopping by 6 o'clock you can take in a gig. There are of course the usual suspects such as Mos, Freshness Burger, Mister Donut etc. to keep you going.

But as for trade-in's, I would say forget it. For one thing, even selling a CD/DVD in Japan can be quite a complicated procedure. Second, the larger second-hand stores would be staffed by, er, staff, who would not be authorised to buy. The smaller shops might be one-man operations, but trying to sell something would still be a very difficult task and even if you did get an offer you're probably unlikely to get one to match an item's worth.

What is it you're trying to offload? Surely eBay would be a better option?

Thanks for the info guys , looks like I'll be in for a good time .

I'll need a lot of money as well so I was thinking of off loading some existing jackets and yes I suppose ebay would yield a better price but it's a bit of chore.

I've got an ELC B6, BR L2a, ELCA1 and ELC air comfort as possible offload candidates

dadgad

johnny english said:

I'll need a lot of money as well so I was thinking of off loading some existing jackets and yes I suppose ebay would yield a better price but it's a bit of chore.

I've got an ELC B6, BR L2a, ELCA1 and ELC air comfort as possible offload candidates

pics and sizes would be appreciated.

asiamiles

johnny english said:

I would say all of those, except maybe the Air Comfort, would qualify as pretty desirable jackets and should easily sell on eBay at the first time of asking providing you don't start them too high. I'm sure the whole photo-taking and listing could be done in a couple of hours, and within about ten days you should have the money in your pocket. You could mention them on here first; even though most VLJers are larger there are a few smaller guys on here and B-6's and A-1's are always being mentioned as being sought after. Actually, I might be interested in the B-6 myself, and could even collect it from you in person!